Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple tv won't connect. Ive tried everything

My Apple TV will not connect to my WI-FI no matter what I try.

Windows 8

Posted on Nov 28, 2014 1:17 PM

1 reply

Nov 30, 2014 12:58 PM in response to johnner8413

Hey there johnner8413,

If you have yet to connect to your router by Wi-Fi on your Apple TV, I would use these troubleshooting steps in the following article:

Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

If you can see your Wi-Fi network, but you are unable to connect to it

1. Check for any obstructions and adjust the location of your router or Apple TV; also check for sources of potential interference.
  2. Check the wireless security option of your Wi-Fi router.
    • If your Wi-Fi network uses a password, make sure you are entering it correctly.

Note: Apple TV cannot connect to networks that contain high (extended) or double-byte characters (Unicode) characters (such as Japanese, Korean, and Chinese) in the name or password.

• If you are using WEP security, consider using WPA or WPA2 instead.
    • Temporarily disable wireless encryption or security on the Wi-Fi router to rule out encryption issues.

Note: Certain business and institutional Wi-Fi networks require special profiles to connect. See Additional Information below for assistance.

3. Verify that your Wi-Fi router is not using MAC address filtering or other security features that limit the number or types of devices that can connect to it.

If you need to add the MAC address to the access list for the Wi-Fi router, the MAC address is listed as the Wi-Fi address in Settings > General > About.

4. Update your Wi-Fi router to the latest firmware.

For an AirPort Base Station, refer to this article for information about firmware updates. For third-party Wi-Fi routers, check the manufacturer's website for details on updating your firmware.

If after attempting the above steps, your Apple TV is still unable to connect to your Wi-Fi network:

1. Restart your Apple TV: Choose Settings > General > Restart.
  2. If you can connect to the Internet using an Ethernet connection, verify that your Apple TV is using the latest software by choosing Settings > General > Software Update. If your Apple TV can be updated, install the update and test again.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the very best,

Sterling

apple tv won't connect. Ive tried everything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.