Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating a 'roaming' network using AE and AX

I currently have a 4th gen AE and an AX in an extended wireless network configuration. The problem is that the connection between the two is often very poor and I'm not in a position to be able to move either one. However, I can run ethernet between them - and in fact I have.

Up till now I've been using the ethernet port on the AX to run my TV, but now I would like to use it to connect to the AE.

Docs show that I should choose "Connect using Ethernet" on the Airport Utility. That option does not appear for me when I check. To be clear, I've not connected the ethernet cable from the AE to the AX yet, so once I do, will that option become available? If not, how do I ensure the AX uses ethernet to connect to the AE?

I already have both configured for the same network name and password. And things DO work, just very v e r y slowly.

My actual setup will be cable modem -> AE -> ethernet cable into a powerline adapter -> powerline adapter -> switch -> AX. Right now, I moved ethernet for the TV to the switch and all is working.

Posted on Nov 28, 2014 2:24 PM

9 replies

Nov 28, 2014 3:01 PM in response to NorCalAl

The good news is that the basic roaming network setup is the same with the newer 6.x version of the AirPort Utility.

Here are some step-by-step instructions using the 6.x version of the AirPort Utility.

First, there are a few key elements to successfully configuring a roaming network, and they are:

• All of the base station must be interconnected by Ethernet. Note: You can use non-Apple routers in this type of network.
  • All base stations must have unique Base Station Names.
  • All base stations must use the same Radio Mode and Wireless Security Type/Password.
  • Each base station should be on a different Radio Channel. Using "Automatic" works well here.
  • All base stations, other than the "main" base station, must be reconfigured as a bridge.

Let's start with the "main" base station. This will be the one directly connected to the Internet modem:

• AirPort Utility > Select the "main" base station > Edit
  • Base Station tab > Base Station Name > Enter a unique name here
  • Internet tab > Connect Using: DHCP
  • Wireless tab > Network Mode: Create a wireless network > Wireless Network Name > Enter the desired name. This will be used on all base stations > Wireless Security: WPA2 Personal (recommended) > Wireless Password > Enter the desired wireless password. This will be used on all base stations.
  • Network tab > Router Mode: DHCP and NAT
  • Click on Update

For each additional base station added to the roaming network:

• AirPort Utility > Select the appropriate base station > Edit
  • Base Station tab > Base Station Name > Enter a unique name here
  • Internet tab > Connect Using: DHCP
  • Wireless tab > Network Mode: Create a wireless network > Wireless Network Name > Enter the desired name. This will be used on all base stations > Wireless Security: WPA2 Personal (recommended) > Wireless Password > Enter the desired wireless password. This will be used on all base stations.
  • Network tab > Router Mode: Off (Bridge Mode)
  • Click on Update

Nov 28, 2014 3:24 PM in response to Tesserax

So from this, it appears the only change I need to make is on my AX where it currently is set to "Extend a wireless network". Is that the way you see it, too? The older instructions also said to remove the checkbox, on the AE, where it says "Allow this network to be extended". Is that still correct?

Thank you for your incredibly quick answers!

Nov 29, 2014 7:54 AM in response to NorCalAl

OK, so I found out one thing: the software on the Mac in the Utilities folder differs from that on Windows. I know I've read that using a key combo before pushing certain buttons yields additional choices, but given this is my first foray into Mac-land since the early 90's, I'm not sure what that combo is.

In any event, I went to my (soon to be sold) Win7 box and viola! the choices were there. That is, 'connect using Ethernet' and 'Allow this network to be Extended'.

So today I will restart all networking using the new settings and hopefully have a MUCH faster network. While Comcast provides me with 100-125mbps to the house (and my wired machines), once the signal had gone through the AE and AX, I was lucky to get 3-5mbps. I'm hoping to see much higher numbers following the reconfigure. Plus, the PS3 and TV will be on the switch, so should have much reduced wireless traffic.

Nov 29, 2014 1:49 PM in response to NorCalAl

So from this, it appears the only change I need to make is on my AX where it currently is set to "Extend a wireless network". Is that the way you see it, too?

Yes, that is correct.

The older instructions also said to remove the checkbox, on the AE, where it says "Allow this network to be extended". Is that still correct?

Yes. However that won't be necessary if you are using version 6.x of the AirPort Utility to perform the setup.

Nov 29, 2014 2:00 PM in response to NorCalAl

OK, so I found out one thing: the software on the Mac in the Utilities folder differs from that on Windows.

Yes, unfortunately or fortunately, Apple has not updated the AirPort Utility for Windows in a while. I actually prefer v5.x for both platforms as it offered more administration options.

One thing to take into consideration. The current Windows version of the utility does NOT support the latest 802.11ac AirPorts. You must use the updated version of the utility on a Mac to administer them.

I know I've read that using a key combo before pushing certain buttons yields additional choices, but given this is my first foray into Mac-land since the early 90's, I'm not sure what that combo is.

Yep, this can be quite confusing as some of the keys used have similar names but different functions. It will also depend on which keyboard you use with each computer as it is possible to use either keyboard on either computer. Confused enough yet?

To help you get started, when using a Mac keyboard with a Mac, the important key is the Option key. Holding down this key will provide you with additional menu configuration options as you mentioned.

As a reference, you may find the following Apple Support article helpful.

Dec 1, 2014 7:33 AM in response to NorCalAl

I finally got to do the rewire/reconfigure of the network today. First, I did speedtests from wired and wireless boxes and at different locations. The highest speed off the Express (running as the AP) I could manage was 23ms ping 3.3down/3.1up. From the Extreme, I could manage 10down/3.4up wireless and 18ms ping 125down/14up wired.

Changed the channels - didn't use auto as their are a number of competing signals including the one from my Comcast box. I had both set to the same channel before (the AX and AE) so that may well have contributed to the low speeds. In any event, now they are on 6 (AX) and 9 (AE). Made the one other change suggested here (Create instead of Extend a Network).

Rebooted. Waited.

Now speeds at the Express are.... 18ping/35down!!!/15up!!!! Dang. Dang!

Thanks to all who helped.

Dec 1, 2014 8:01 AM in response to NorCalAl

I did want to point out that the change in software wasn't responsible - the fact that I went from using the Express as a wireless network extender, connected to the Extreme by wireless and moving it to a 'base station' connected over ethernet using powerline adapters is what did it. I'm freakin stoked. Lived here TEN years and this is the first time things have been this good. Just freakin' awesome.

Creating a 'roaming' network using AE and AX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.