Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Health app not retaining Add Steps data

I'm looking forward to using the Apple Watch to track my activity when I get it. In the meantime, I've been manually entering my step activity in the Health app manually. Unfortunately, more often than not, even if it seems to initially accept the Add Data entry, after a few hours it usually stops including the manual entry in the total displayed for the day, even though pouring back through the data shows the manual entry is still there.

I've tried deleting the manual entry and re-entering it with a different time to see if that matters, but it generally doesn't help. It's unreliable enough for me to forego manually adding data entries for my elliptical step data, for now. Unless someone can explain/sleuth out the logic necessary for the data to be accepted as legitimate and incorporated into the daily step total.

Any ideas?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.1

Posted on Nov 28, 2014 4:22 PM

14 replies

Nov 28, 2014 7:41 PM in response to Dave Marsh

Hi Dave,

I am also interested in using the Apple Watch for tracking my activity and fitness when it comes out too! There is a "Steps" section that tracks your steps automatically using your iPhone's built in gyroscope. You can go to the "Health Data" and search for "Steps". Tap "Show on Dashboard" and you would be able to see it. Hope this helps!

Nov 29, 2014 8:40 AM in response to Botester

Thanks for the feedback. That's actually how I've been using the Steps portion of the Health app to track my steps. It's the Add Data portion that doesn't work reliably. The added data gets loaded into the dataset, but only appears in the displayed total briefly, if at all. When it does initially appear in the Steps total for the day, I find later in the day that the added data is no longer in the total. That's what I'm trying to resolve, or at least confirm with others that they're experiencing the same issue.

I don't have this issue with the other data types I'm using, just Steps.

Dec 14, 2014 9:49 AM in response to Dave Marsh

I am having the same problem with my phone. I haven't found a solution that works consistently, but at first I made all my entries by sliding to the data entry option screen straight from dashboard. That worked every time for a couple of days. When that stopped working I would enter a mile count in walking/running using two decimal spaces. (Any less and the data wouldn't show.) If anyone figures out what is really wrong and how to fix it, I'd love to know.

Dec 14, 2014 10:34 AM in response to mallaukat

Thanks for the feedback. I'll give the decimal thingy a try, although I'm not sure why that might work (a fraction of a step???). I'm just trying to find out if others are experiencing this weird issue with the Steps data set. The manual entries continue to remain in the data set after entry, they just stop being incorporated into the displayed totals/graph.

I also note that it takes a full minute, or so, for all the data in the set to be displayed when you want to edit it. I discovered this when I saw that my manual entry wasn't being included in the totals graph and wanted to check if my entry was still there. It was. So, I then deleted it and re-entered the amount with a different entry time. That sometime worked and sometime not. I just didn't want to leave the old non-included entry in the data set, once I got a new entry that worked.

It's nice to know the issue isn't only affecting me. Maybe Apple will now take a look and see what's the matter.

Sep 4, 2015 6:32 PM in response to Dave Marsh

I'm using an iPhone 6, running iOS 8.4.1, and I have similar issue still. I live close to a bunch of stairs. So at the end of my day, I go climb them for exercise, and it seems like Health App still can't count. Like say for example it says so far I've climbed 9 floors so far. Ok, then I go climb another 15. It should now say 24, but instead it says 18. No problem, I can just add 6 more floors. Nope, appearantly 18+6=14... I delete the manual entry and its back to 18.

Health app not retaining Add Steps data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.