Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro X does not index any loops.

I recently moved to a new iMac 5K and moved my loop library back from an external hard drive into ~/Audio/Apple Loops

Regardless of restarts, forced re-indexing in the loops menu, trying to drag the loops into the browser or even re-indexing using GarageBand I can't for the life of me get any loops to show up in the browser. They do show up in GarageBand, but the loops menu is showing an endless scrolling lists of loops that breaks before I can get to the end and select Re-index loop there.

I am currently trying to install additional content in GarageBand. The option is greyed out in Logic Pro X.

I have deleted all index files in /Library/Audio and ~/Library/Audio

All loops are currently under ~/Audio/Apple Loops and nothing in the root library.

Any ideas on how to fix this? 10.10.1 and Logic Pro X 10.0.7

I am an experienced Mac and Audio user (as you can see from my troubleshooting above). But this one has me stumped.

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), 512 SSD, 24GB RAM

Posted on Nov 29, 2014 5:53 AM

17 replies

Feb 14, 2015 9:31 AM in response to Erik K Veland

please count me in as having the exact same problem after moving everything to new iMac 5K .. most of loop content greyed out...re-index does nothing and repair disk permissions the same... while i know Logic pretty well i'm not great at fixing issues like this beyond the obvious things to try... hope we can resolve this!!.. thanks kindly

Jul 15, 2015 4:53 AM in response to patrick warren

Hi. I found that Yosemite seems to have an issue with permissions when rebuilding the Apple Loops Index for Logic Pro 9 (not sure if this applies to Logic Pro X, but worth a try).

I also tried to rebuild the index by dragging the apple loops onto the loops browser only to have it prompt me for an Administrator password but not doing anything. Here's how I fixed it:

Delete the existing index files:

1) Quit Logic Pro 9

2) Delete the *.txt files in the /Library/Audio/Apple Loops Index/ folder

Add yourself with read & write privileges for the loops and index folders

3) Right (Control) click the /Library/Audio/Apple Loops/ folder and choose Get Info

4) Expand the Sharing & Permissions in the Get Info window

5) Click the Padlock icon so you can make changes. You will likely be prompted for your password

6) Click the + button and choose your user account (name) and click the Select button

7) Make sure your privilege is set to Read & Write

8) To apply the permissions to the sub-folders and files, select your username from the list, click the gear icon and click "Apply to enclosed items..." Review the warning.

9) Repeat steps 3-8 but this time for the /Library/Audio/Apple Loops Index/ folder

Reindex as normal

10) Launch Logic Pro 9

11) Open the loops browser

12) Drag the /Library/Audio/Apple Loops/ folder into the browser

13) Enter the password for your login as prompted.

This time you should notice it will take a lot longer. Once completed, your loops should work fine. This worked for me, and took a while to work it out. Hope it helps.

Feb 29, 2016 7:11 AM in response to Erik K Veland

Use the method above but be PATIENT! It may look like nothing happens but in fact it is doing the re-index in the background. It can take 5+ minutes or so as there are over 20k+ loops in the additional content packages.

I just upgraded to Logic Pro X at work, while keeping Logic Pro 9 on the machine. After installing the additional content for LPX I needed to reindex the loops. Using the "Re-index Loops Library" command made all the loops disappear from the browser at first, with no "indexing" message. I left it for a while and came back and all of my loops were indexed correctly.

The only thing I can't figure out is where LPX is keeping the Loops Index .txt file now. I deleted all of the old .txt files in the /Library/Audio/Apple Loops Index/ folder but another one didn't appear there even after restart. Yet all of my loops appear correctly in the loops browser.

Does anyone know where the loops index text file should be with LPX?

Feb 29, 2016 7:56 AM in response to JBVideo

The Loops Database for LPX 10.2 and later is ~\Library\Applications Support\Logic and is called LoopsDatabseV09.db.

If you also have a file V08 with the same name it is for previous versions of Logic and can be deleted if you are not running them.

If you are having problems, I would delete these files manually and then re-index ( which will re-create them) and verify they are there.

Jun 2, 2016 6:44 PM in response to Erik K Veland

I too have now joined the many who have this problem.... its very very frustrating and seems so simple to fix yet alas nothing.

I have attempted most if not all of the above methods and nothing works.

Using Logic Pro X latest update.

Has any one had any luck as yet on how to fix this ?

I doubt Apple have any idea about this topic or perhaps have a fix that works ?

Sooooo Painful.😠

Jun 2, 2016 8:36 PM in response to ajames76

Any of you guys with the Loops indexing problem tried the procedure that Indyuser pointed out (deleting the LoopsDatabaseV09.db file?

I'm on Yosemite and have no problems with both Logic9 and LPX.

I had the Index files deleted for Logic9 because I don't use the app anymore, but I just opened L9 to try it.

• L9 opens without any Loops in the Loop Browser
  • I right-click on the Loop Browser to open the Shortcut Menu with the Reindex command
  • The Authentication opens to enter the Admin password, which make sense, because the Index files are written into the Library on the system directory level. Has nothing to do with any file permission gone wrong.
  • Reindex procedure goes through and, oops here they are, all my Apple Loops in Logic 9
  • Now launching LPX and the Loops are there too. LPX doesn't know anything about the separate indexe files, that L9 created because LPX uses its own single database file now (LoopsDatabaseV09.db)

User uploaded file

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Jun 3, 2016 1:18 AM in response to EdgarRothermich

Hey Edgar

Thanks so much for the reply and potential advice.

So the first problem is i don't have LP9 on LPX.

This could be essentially a good thing to narrow the issue down.

Unfortunately this has not fixed the issue.

From what i can see there are no additional back up folders labeled this in the location suggested.

In additional threads i have read some have mentioned a permissions problem.

By any chance does that sound credible?

Logic Pro X does not index any loops.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.