Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Get old Aperture library into iPhoto without need to upgrade Aperture first?

I've my photo libraries in an old Aperture format. I didn't upgrade to Aperture 3, because I didn't get a new Mac until recently. Now with Yosemite my old Aperture app can't be installed anymore (neither old iPhoto). So I've not an old Aperture library file which I'd like to import into the new iPhoto, but I get the dialog that I've to upgrade to Aperture 3 first.

Do I really have to purchase a $80 upgrade to get my pictures out of an old version of Aperture? I'd upgrade to Aperture 3 and continue using it if it wasn't already announced to be discontinued soon. But what to do until the new Photo.app is available some time in 2015, plus who knows whether the announced "will be able to import Aperture libraries" isn't also limited to Aperture 3+ versions?

You see my pickle?! I can't run old Aperture on Yosemite, I can't import my old Aperture library into the new iPhoto and Photo.app isn't available yet. What to do?

The option to run an old OS X via VMWare, import Aperture to old iPhoto and then upgrade to new iPhoto also seems a bit much work.

---

What I am looking for would essentially be a "Import Aperture 2 library into (new) iPhoto" script/tool/converter.

Thanks,

-H

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Nov 29, 2014 5:48 AM

6 replies

Nov 29, 2014 6:52 AM in response to im_nobody

you can get the original photos out by copying the masters folder and importing to iPhoto - other than that yo must have Aperture - either use your old system and export the photos then import them or upgrade Aperture on your new system

while no one knows it is doubtful that the new photos app will read old iPhoto or Aperture libraries - best guess is that it will only work with current libraries

LN

Nov 29, 2014 7:06 AM in response to im_nobody

Do you have any friend or family member with an Aperture 3.6 installation, who could open your Aperture 2 library in Aperture 3.6 for you and upgrade the library? You need only to rum Aperture 3.6 once. Then iPhoto 9.6 will be able to use the Aperture library as an iPhoto library.

If you do not upgrade the library to Aperture 3.6 all your work will be lost. You will only have the naked original files without any of your adjustments, ratings, keywords, captions, albums, projects. If you invested years to build your library, I'd try to find a way to upgrade the library to Aperture 3.6. If you have to buy Aperture 3.6, you will be able to use it through the lifetime of Yosemite at least, probably longer.

Nov 29, 2014 11:20 AM in response to LarryHN

Thanks Larry. Interesting suggestion using the master files, but Leonie made a good point with loosing all the edits and maybe other stuff. After I gave it some thought I decided to buy the new Aperture even if it stops being supported... I've tens of thousands pictures stored in that library and that's more worth than the $80. That way I at least can wait and see whether the new Photo app will be worth it and don't have to be an early adopter unnecessarily.

Bummer still though, that there doesn't seem to be a good solution if someone is actually determined to switch from Aperture 2 to the current iPhotos app.

Cheers,

-H

Nov 29, 2014 11:25 AM in response to im_nobody

Crrect - as I said

you can get the original photos out by copying the masters folder and importing to iPhoto

And yes there is no good solution for switching from a outdated software package to a different up to date one - Aperture or pretty much any other software - iPhoto will update all old iPhoto libraries and Aperture will update all old Aperture libraries but iPhoto will not update old Apertue libraries nor will Aperture update old iPhoto libraries

LN

Get old Aperture library into iPhoto without need to upgrade Aperture first?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.