Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please Help Me Fix Maps

Greetings All: My Maps App has decided to no longer work … As I recall, I was using it one day when it froze and unexpectedly quit. Now, when I try to open it, all I get are the menu items across the top — no window or map. I have tried just about everything I can think of to rectify the situation including most of the suggestions offered here.

In an effort to troubleshoot the situation, I logged out and logged back in as a “Guest” — low & behold, Maps works in that account. I’m guessing there is probably something (a file or folder) I can copy from the Guest account and move into my account that will get it to work. My problem is, I don’t know which file or folder to copy into my system. I would appreciate any information you folks would be willing to share. Thank You.

Posted on Nov 29, 2014 10:27 AM

3 replies

Nov 29, 2014 11:30 AM in response to M-OR-E

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Maps

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Reveal in Finder

from the contextual menu.* A Finder window should open with a folder named "com.apple.Maps" selected. Quit the application if it's running. Move the folder to the Desktop, leaving the window open. Relaunch the application and test. If there's no change, quit again and put the item you moved back where it was, overwriting the one that may have been created in its place. Otherwise, delete the folder you moved. The list of recent places displayed in Maps will be lost.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Nov 30, 2014 9:20 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you Linc & Glenn: I tried both of your suggestions and neither worked. After fiddling with this issue, off & on, for a couple of days, I decided to back everything up and reinstall Yosemite — everything seems to be in order for now. 🙂 I do appreciate your help and visit the community every time I have an issue — more often than not, I am able to resolve any issues without having to post. Keep up the work.

Please Help Me Fix Maps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.