Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with second user account sharing one iTunes library

I have an iTunes library that is outside my Home folder that I am sharing between two users. One account functions flawlessly. All the songs are there. Everything is organized into folders by iTunes. iTunes Match is working as it should and all files have been downloaded from the cloud.

I have tried everything to get the second account to work as the other. I have used Apple's instructions to reimport the xml file. I have even recreated that users iTunes account from scratch. But when I go to preferences and point that account to the shared iTunes library the new account wants to copy the files or re-download the music and in both cases making duplicates in the library.

Looking for help.

Message was edited by: bitman

OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Nov 29, 2014 6:11 PM

3 replies

Dec 1, 2014 12:53 AM in response to bitman

So I have both accounts now working... sort of. The problem is that the common iTunes Media folder they share does not contain the iTunes Library files (.itl and .xml). Those files are still in each account's Home folder iTunes Media folder. I can see this will be a problem keeping the shared iTunes Media folder happy.

I'm not sure how I got things to this point but I do want to correct it.

Can can I copy one of the account's iTunes Library files to the shared iTunes Media folder?

Problem with second user account sharing one iTunes library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.