Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QuickTime creating 1% app for .jpg files into "Open with".

After installing QuickTime 7.7.6, I tried to open a .jpg file and I saw a weird 'OpenWith" app name called "1%". I searched the internet and someone stated that it is a broken extension that QuickTime installs and he recommended to uninstall QuickTime to see if that is gone. I uninstalled the QuickTime and that broken extension was removed and when I re-installed the QuickTime, that 1% app was back in "OpenWith".

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/help-how -to-remove-1-application-in-choose-default/1d84241e-fbd7-498b-8da9-458d9ef07036

User uploaded file

Windows 8

Posted on Nov 29, 2014 6:06 PM

18 replies

Dec 15, 2014 4:08 PM in response to Saad.M

Folder Options control panel > File Types > scroll and click on JPG to highlight > Advanced > Edit

Applications used to perform this action: In that box you'll see info for Windows system32 & Dynamic Link Library.

Put your insertion point all the way to the right in that box and click several times. Then you'll see %1.

This is with Windows picture and fax viewer as default. When changing to QuickTime picture viewer as default, was not able to relate

%1 or 1% to QuickTime.

What are you trying to accomplish? Are you able to open JPG and the computer functioning OK? And just trying to get 1% out of the Open With list?

Dec 15, 2014 8:33 PM in response to Saad.M

It is different in Windows 8.1. I know exactly what you were about. I even have checked that location before your suggested it. The problem is with Windows Registry entries that QuickTime creates. Apple should correct all of the reg data that is listed below:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.bmp\shell\open\command]

@=" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.dib\shell\open\command]

@=" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.jp2\shell\open\command]

@=" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.jpe\shell\open\command]

@=" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.jpeg\shell\open\command]

@=" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.jpg\shell\open\command]

@=" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.mac\shell\open\command]

@=" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.pct\shell\open\command]

@=" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.pic\shell\open\command]

@=" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.pict\shell\open\command]

@=" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.png\shell\open\command]

@=" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.pnt\shell\open\command]

@=" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.pntg\shell\open\command]

@=" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.psd\shell\open\command]

@=" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.qti\shell\open\command]

@=" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.qtif\shell\open\command]

@=" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.rgb\shell\open\command]

@=" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.sgi\shell\open\command]

@=" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.targa\shell\open\command]

@=" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.tga\shell\open\command]

@=" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.tif\shell\open\command]

@=" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\QuickTime.tiff\shell\open\command]

@=" \"%1\""

Dec 17, 2014 3:21 PM in response to Saad.M

With XP Pro I thought the registry path I gave would remove 1% from the Open With List of programs. Where it showed 1% and quicktime.exe in the registry of XP Pro, even though I didn't have 1% showing on that computer, in the Open With List.

On Windows 7 the registry didn't even show 1% quicktime.exe in the same registry path. It did show what you posted for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT though.

Not being on Windows 8.1, I can't add anything useful, but found this a interesting discussion here.

It seems when you remove 1% from the Open With List of programs, it recreates?

QuickTime creating 1% app for .jpg files into "Open with".

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.