Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacMail reply problem with 10.10.1 and Mail 8.1.

Environment is OS X 10.10.1

Mail 8.1 (1993) which came with Yosemite.

When I reply to email, Mail can't link the original message with the response.

The reply is in the "Sent" folder as it should be and the Message Viewer has the reply arrow

in the right place.

However, when I click on the reply arrow, I get an Error message that says

"Mail was unable to find your reply to the message “test reply”. You may have deleted the message."

No problem until Yosemite. Painful problem since I'd like to see what I said in email responses without

scanning the Sent Mail folder.

I haven't found this problem with the other numerous Yosemite Mail discussions.

Anyone see this ?

Posted on Nov 29, 2014 7:18 PM

44 replies

Feb 24, 2017 10:54 AM in response to Noonmoon

I encountered the same issue: missing the possibility to find my reply mails in MacMail. I tried all solutions suggested in this thread, to no avail. No solution since 2014.

It must be a fake problem. Apple and Mac OS is an operating system that is way superior to Windows, Microsoft and even Bill Gates. It's infallible!

So the problem must be with their users. I'm considering therapy now.

May 3, 2017 7:01 AM in response to Noonmoon

This has been broken for me for the last 2-3 years, and is still broken. It's obviously a problem between Apple Mail and Exchange. I think the rebuild trick worked once on existing messages, but it's just not worth my time to do that anymore. OS X 10.12.4, Mail 10.3, Office 365/Exchange. Apparently 3 years or more of grumbling to Apple ain't enough; they just don't give a rat's patootie about it.

Dec 6, 2014 10:52 AM in response to Noonmoon

I have the same problem on two separate MacBook Pros. Have rebuilt mailboxes to no avail. Others have had the same problem - see: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5161126 Unfortunately, someone posted a solution that worked for old mail but not new mail. That led to someone marking the problem as solved. I have not found a solution yet. Really a pain in the neck not being able to find responses.

Incidentally, after following the procedure in the link above I have ended up with multiple files named Envelope Index... And the problem reemerged with old email and following the procedure above a second time has created more problems because the find reply is not fixed for any mail now and I cannot rebuild my inbox, I seem to have to rebuild each folder individually. So be cautious in messing with your Envelope Index files.

Dec 7, 2014 5:53 PM in response to Noonmoon

Thanks Noonmoon. UPDATE: I called Apple Tech Support today because I have AppleCare coverage. The only solution they had is the one I gave a link to above: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5161126 So deleting the Envelope Index files seems to be a fix for existing mail but we may have to wait for a more permanent fix from Apple. Going through this again did recover the email messages I was missing before but it does take a while when you have as many emails as I do (>200,000). I may call Apple support next week and ask if it can be escalated. Perhaps a senior tech has a more lasting solution.

Jan 8, 2015 6:35 PM in response to Richard Gronostajski

UPDATE. Thanks Rich. I was escalated to level 2 tech support who determined that this is an Apple problem that many others are having. It was sent to engineering who acknowledged the issue. There is currently no work around or solution. They believe that the problem may receive attention and be fixed in a future update. This has disrupted my normal work flow. Am trying to use "Organize by Conversation" to see my replies but this will take some getting used to...

Jan 29, 2015 2:44 PM in response to Richard Gronostajski

Ok so I assume its not just me! I submitted a bug report on this back in December, so its skipped both updates which is a little disappointing. They appear to be running two weeks ahead of the Mavericks update schedule so fingers crossed its caught in the 3rd update.

I'm also having graphics artefact issues on my 2nd and 3rd 27" Cinema Displays along with many others. Also submitted bug reports in December and also not caught yet.

That said, Yosemite is good, and much better than the Mavericks update, less buggy too, so apart from these issues I'm still impressed with the innovations in Yosemite.

MacMail reply problem with 10.10.1 and Mail 8.1.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.