Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sorting by Album Artist rather than Artist on iPod Classic

Does anyone here know of a method to allow the iPod to sort by Album Artist rather than by Artist? I know there are work-arounds (include the featured artist in the song title, making adjustments to the sorting, etc.). I'm dealing with 40K+ songs. So, editing the song titles is just not a viable option for me. I am hoping that somewhere, somehow, someone has discovered a way to allow the iPod to sort by Album Artist. I, like many of you, have upwards of 10 different listings for a particular artist because every song nowadays has a featured guest. For example, when in my car searching through Artists, I get John Doe, John Doe feat. Jane Doe, John Doe feat. fill-in-the-blank... Lord, if only I could find a way to sort the iPod by Album Artist... Anyone with any ideas?

Many thanks,

Lee

iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009), Windows 7, Using Infiniti In-Car Interface

Posted on Nov 29, 2014 10:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2014 12:29 PM

There is no way to change the behaviour of the iPod. See Grouping tracks into albums for suggestions, though I think you already know what I recommend. Set the Compilation flag where appropriate, and move the Artist information into the track name where you don't want to treat the album as a compilation.

I don't have a way to do this completely automatically, but your thread prompted me to create a new script called DifferentArtistAlbumArtist that can reveal the tracks that would need modifying. Perhaps the task isn't as big as you fear. I just used it to locate and correct some previously missed inconsistencies in my tags so thank you. 🙂

If you don't need to get the most appropriate addition to the Name field, such as [Artist], [As Artist], [Feat. Artist], [With Artist], but just want to preserve the existing values of Artist somewhere you could use KeywordsToGrouping to archive the current value of <Artist> in the grouping field and then KeywordsToArtist to copy the value of <AlbumArtist> into the artist field.

tt2

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2014 12:29 PM in response to LeeAllan05

There is no way to change the behaviour of the iPod. See Grouping tracks into albums for suggestions, though I think you already know what I recommend. Set the Compilation flag where appropriate, and move the Artist information into the track name where you don't want to treat the album as a compilation.

I don't have a way to do this completely automatically, but your thread prompted me to create a new script called DifferentArtistAlbumArtist that can reveal the tracks that would need modifying. Perhaps the task isn't as big as you fear. I just used it to locate and correct some previously missed inconsistencies in my tags so thank you. 🙂

If you don't need to get the most appropriate addition to the Name field, such as [Artist], [As Artist], [Feat. Artist], [With Artist], but just want to preserve the existing values of Artist somewhere you could use KeywordsToGrouping to archive the current value of <Artist> in the grouping field and then KeywordsToArtist to copy the value of <AlbumArtist> into the artist field.

tt2

Nov 13, 2015 9:07 AM in response to LeeAllan05

This is such a major PIA. iTunes has often led the way with good features, but Apple's own other devices not only lag behind, but sometimes never get there. Case in point? Album Artist. A standout feature in iTunes that in conjunction with Artist, Sort Artist, Sort Album Artist and Compilation flag allows anyone to group albums together how they like. Let's face it, no-one can predict how every user wants to sort their music collection, so provide the tools and let them get on with it. Brilliant.

iTunes has long had the ability to prioritise Album Artist over Artist, but in their infinite wisdom Apple don't always follow through to all their products. However, I'm very pleased to se that the Music app on the iPhone now handles this in the same way. I guess I should check whether they're brought the TV into line yet, but I'm so incensed that they haven't bothered with the iPod (Classic anyway) that I can't be bothered to faff with the TV to find out if Apple have stopped being so dense about this.

Obviously Apple developers are not stupid, but they do seem to suffer from a mental block when it comes to intelligent user interfaces sometimes. Obviously they think using the Album Artist and allowing the user to prioritise that tag for sorting is a good thing, as indeed it is. So why only implement it on some of their products? This is what I find so frustrating. They get a good idea and don't follow through. At least if they were consistently stupid and made bad products we could look elsewhere, but what we have are some great products that are supposed to work (in our Apple Digital Home) with their other products, but don't.

There really is no excuse for this inconsistency. When collecting data from some sort of database, as does the iPod when displaying lists of its music, there is some small piece of code that specifies in which order to display the list. Probably one word of code. How hard could it be for Apple to change 'Artist' for 'Album Artist'? Even to provide the user with the choice wouldn't be rocket science. So why don't they fix this? It just makes no sense to me. My Classic is full and I need to spend a lot of time and effort into ensuring everything is sorted correctly or I cannot find things and it frustrates me enormously that they simply do nothing about this obvious lack.

Another gripe is how they display a list of all an artist's tracks. Until recently most of the devices would list them in alphabetical order and no-one can convince me that makes any sense. Why would anyone want to listen to all of an artist's tracks in alphabetical order. Sorted by Album first (whatever sort order used for the albums) and then by track number. This is the only sort order that makes any sense really. However, I appreciate others may want it more random and happily they can use that option if they want, but I cannot imagine anyone choosing to listen in alphabetical order. Fortunately, this has mostly been rectified and the iPod Classic in fact does it right, but the iPhone. Ha. Yes they sort by Album then track number, but in reverse order, so if you want to play everything, it plays them in backwards order. This sort of crass stupidity simply drives me nuts. The ONLY way to cater for all tastes is to provide the user with the choice. I don't care if they want to sort all of an artist's tracks alphabetically, or in backwards order - as long as I have the option to change it to what makes sense to me.

The net result of Apple's thoughtlessness is that using Artist and Album Artist to achieve lists sorted how you want is impossible on all devices. I can have it correct in iTunes and the iPhone, but then it's wrong on the iPod (Classic) and vice versa. This a truly deplorable situation, yet so simply solved. Apple should be ashamed of themselves.

Sorting by Album Artist rather than Artist on iPod Classic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.