Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I report spam on your forums?

I can't see any report buttons, nor any buttons to send a message to the mods.

I'm a mod on another large forum, and found a link to this post: Re: Is there a mac compatible blu ray player?

It refers to a piece of software we've been having a lot of spam about, and it appears they linked to a link on this site to avoid any spamfilters, apple.com being a reputable domain.

Can someone deal to this?

Posted on Nov 30, 2014 12:24 AM

17 replies

Nov 30, 2014 8:12 AM in response to Someone_Somewhere

Because I've legitimately been in many Blu-ray topics, those topics get bumped to the top of my Discussions list every time yet another Mac-Go spammer adds a post pretending to be a user asking about which player software to get, or just saying how great it is. Always with another link to the software, even if the topic already has links to that same software in it. I report them for removal whenever I see them. However, it still gets the effect they want; the topic gets bumped to the top of a forum list where more users will open it and see the links to Mac-Go still in the topic.

Personally, I would locate and remove every single topic or post on these forums with the words Mac-Go or links to their software in it. These forums aren't a place for them to advertise for free anymore than it is for any other vendor. It's also against the Terms of Agreement to advertise here.

No advertising. Do not use the Site to sell or market your products to others and do not post a URL unless it directly answers a user's question. If any portion of your Submission, including any posted URL, results in any accrual of compensation or benefit to you, you must note this in your post by stating, "I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link." As well, the following are not allowed:

1. A submission created solely to advertise a book, service, software or some other item for sale.
  2. Any reference, including a link, to a commercial item that is not directly related to a relevant technical support question or answer. For example: "This post created by Super Post Creator."
  3. You may sign your Submissions with information about yourself. However, this should not include a link to a website. An example of an acceptable signature: Justine R. Author, "Apple Lisa Communities: Tips and Tricks"

Nov 30, 2014 8:22 AM in response to Kurt Lang

That's the response I'm taking where I moderate, but there's dozens of bits of software that fall under that category, and some actually seem to be recommended by legit users, making it a bit more difficult.

Deleting the old stuff also helps train the spamfilter, stopping the new spam from bumping.

Pretty sure almost everywhere has 'no spamming' in the ToS...

Nov 30, 2014 6:50 PM in response to bobseufert

To quote your ToU:

No advertising. Do not use the Site to sell or market your products to others and do not post a URL unless it directly answers a user's question. If any portion of your Submission, including any posted URL, results in any accrual of compensation or benefit to you, you must note this in your post by stating, "I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link." As well, the following are not allowed:

(my emphasis)

Google says he has 39 mentions on the site, 20 of which include the software. I'd nuke that as spam.

How do I report spam on your forums?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.