Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8 Spotlight Search blank results bug with iPhone 6

Does anyone have a solution or workaround for the Spotlight Search blank results bug in iOS 8? I have an iPhone 6 Plus 128GB running iOS 8.1.1. iOS 8.1.1 was supposed to have fixed the problem, but it hasn't for me. I'm having to power down and restart my iPhone 6+ several times a day in order to get Spotlight Search working properly. Spotlight Search will suddenly stop returning any search results. All I get is a blank screen. After a restart and waiting several minutes for iOS to index, Spotlight Search will return search results including apps. But it's temporary. If I wait an hour and then try to do a Spotlight Search, I get blank search results again. This is really aggravating as I rely on Spotlight Search to launch apps. I've tried going into Settings > General > Spotlight Search, unchecking and checking Apps and other options, hoping that will get search results working without having to restart the iPhone. No luck. I have an iPad Air 2 with iOS 8.1.1. Haven't had any issues with Spotlight Search on the iPad.

Posted on Nov 30, 2014 7:48 AM

36 replies

Dec 3, 2014 8:46 AM in response to cellarboy

I'm also having the same problem with my iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 8.1.1. When I restart it, Spotlight search works for some time, but out of the blue, it stops working and brings no results. Email to myself, checking/ unchecking spotlight options doesn't work either. I like to use Spotlight search to easily and fastly find an app among tons of them I have installed but now I have to enter the AppStore and search the app I want. Not practical at all, but faster than turning lots of app screens back and forward looking for what I want. Apple, fix spotlight search, please!!

Dec 5, 2014 9:58 PM in response to Rgromfin

Rgromfin wrote:

Why doesn't somebody from Apple take two seconds and chime in here to fix this basic feature that is crucial to using our phones?

Apple doesn't comment on these forums. What have you done to try and fix the problem yourself? Have you taken the phone into and Apple store or contacted Apple Support?

Dec 6, 2014 10:38 AM in response to azcoyote

I'm suspecting there's a big memory leak in 8.1.1. Other than the spotlight issue, has anyone else noticed issues witht their phone getting stuck unable to go portrait to landscape and some odd issues in the music app with app getting stuck on the cover view? On the iPad Air I've also noticed if yOU hold your finger on the screen on certain websites, big chunks of the page go blank until you release your finger from

tthe screen.

Dec 9, 2014 9:16 AM in response to azcoyote

Yes, this seems to be a widespread issue. There are numerous discussions and threads on this issue as well articles and Tweets -- one by a prominent Mac news editor. All threads indicate that restoring settings and even restoring a device as new provide the same temporary resolution as restarting one's device. The issue always seems to return intermittently on many devices running iOS 8.1.1. I've left feedback with Apple on this apparent bug.

Dec 29, 2014 11:47 PM in response to jianyuz

I have the same issue with my iPhone6 and have been reading quite a bit about it on various forums, finding it is quite widespread with various fixes. It was occasional on 8.1 and now very frequent on 8.1.2. For me, personally, it seems to be related to Mail (and many have reported the strange fix that if they send an email to themselves it resolves the issue temporarily). I have tried removing and re-adding items to Spotlight systematically and for me, Mail is the culprit.

I'm going to speculate wildly:

If it is some kind of memory leak or else something else related to indexing Mail items for Spotlight this might explain it. In my case, Spotlight fails as soon as I add Mail as an indexed item. If I remove Mail from Spotlight and reboot, all is good (hard or soft reboot). I have a few Mail accounts, one being an Exchange account with a lot of history to index. It might explain why some get a fix sending themselves an email, but I don't. Perhaps their Mail setup is more straightforward and simply receiving a new email is enough to prompt Spotlight to reindex and start working again.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's related to the other seemingly atrocious methods Apple uses to search Exchange mail accounts to begin with. I have had terrible results trying to search anything through the iOS Mail app, particularly searching any server for older items which are no longer stored locally (it does not seem to ever search or return them in a logical or relevant order).

Anyway, for what it's worth, that has been my experience thus far.

iOS 8 Spotlight Search blank results bug with iPhone 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.