Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keep menu bar visible in all full-screen apps?

Where is the system-level setting to ensure that, even when I maximize an application, the menu bar is still visible. I don't like having to move the mouse to see the battery life, wifi signal, date etc. I'm on Yosemite, if it matters. To be clear, I'm not looking for a workaround that will provide these various bits of information elsewhere. I want to know how to mandate the menu bar stay visible.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Nov 30, 2014 9:31 AM

13 replies

Mar 26, 2017 11:58 AM in response to jhemann

I found a solution that seems to work.

Go to System Preferences>Dock> Put a check mark next to "Double-click a window's title" and select Zoom.

Then, if you open a document and want to maximize: Don´t click on the green button, but double-click the title bar in the document instead (fex where it says Microsoft Word, if you have started this program). Then the window fills the screen except for the menubar and the dock.

Hope that helps.

Jul 15, 2017 9:20 AM in response to jhemann

I have two Mac Pro laptops with the same version of OS and Word. On my older computer, the menu bar stays visible on all applications. On the new laptop, it disappears continually and is extremely irritating-- it makes work much slower since each time I want to view info that is always visible on my older laptop. Ridiculous that someone at Apple can't tell me how to make this menu bar remain visible on my new computer, just like on my older computer!!!

Jul 31, 2017 1:44 PM in response to Eric Root

2017-Thanks, that worked! Just installed sierra from mavericks and i hate it! much slower, streaming much much slower (that's why I updated in first place) and screwed up tons of stuff. Maybe someone knows what I can do to change color, font size and/or make bold the tab color/fonts? even on top it says 'apple inc.' in light green...??? thx

Jul 31, 2017 2:36 PM in response to robiroo

You are welcome. You might want to consider starting a new discussion. Since this one is marked solved, less people are likely to look at it. A new post would be much more visible. You can link to this one.

In the new post, try running this program in your normal account, then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. On the screen with Options, please open Options and check the bottom 2 boxes before running. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy Report” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Nov 30, 2014 10:56 AM in response to Eric Root

This doesn't maximize the window. It makes it slightly larger, but it doesn't make it near full screen. Moreover, I'd rather not have to use special key sequences to get the behavior I want. I'd like it if I can adjust a setting so that the behavior I want /becomes/ the default (i.e., simply pressing the green button or the keyboard shortcut to maximize a window has the effect I'm desiring)

Feb 23, 2015 6:04 AM in response to jhemann

swipe three fingers up to see the screen with all your apps spread out and at the top there will be windows with all your full screen apps. go all the way to the right of that with your mouse at the top and a window with a + sign will stick out from the side of the screen. Click it and it will create a second desktop. then if you put an app in full screen** in each desktop (and hide the dock) your screen will keep the menu bar and you will still be able to flip between open apps just as if they were full screen!!

EDIT - I meant if you maximize an app on each desktop.. sorry

Keep menu bar visible in all full-screen apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.