Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How well does GPS work for offline maps on the iPhone 6 plus?

I have a question about how well GPS works in offline mode for the iPhone 6 plus.

I have an iPad Air and GPS works perfectly in offline mode for all map applications (e.g. Apple maps, Google maps). The prerequisite is obviously to cache or download the map area prior to usage. The iPad Air picks up the GPS signal very fast and it works like a charm! I mostly use that for offline navigation abroad. So far, so good.

Now, my question: Does this kind of offline GPS functionality work equally well and fast on the iPhone 6 plus?

Best regards

Posted on Nov 30, 2014 12:56 PM

3 replies

Nov 30, 2014 2:08 PM in response to stellerr

If you want to get into the gory details of GPS limitations take a look at …

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

'Assisted GPS' will use Cellular towers, Wifi and even Bluetooth (iBeacon) for positioning before it has a GPS fix. A true GPS fix can take upto 12.5 minutes to obtain.

This will mostly be noticeable when you have powered down the device, otherwise it is constantly caching the location based on the multiple signals it receives.

How well does GPS work for offline maps on the iPhone 6 plus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.