Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change expiration date and security code on a card already registered with Apple Pay?

My AMEX was recently update with new security chip. So, my new card has same number, just different expiration date and security code. So, how do I update Apple Pay, where I already have my AMEX card registered? Do I have to treat it as a new card, and add, deleting the old one?

Posted on Nov 30, 2014 4:05 PM

11 replies

Nov 30, 2014 4:25 PM in response to dweller51

Have answered own question. Though same card/account number, AMEX view the new card, with the new expiration date and security code, as a new card for Apple Pay purposes. So, first delete the old AMEX card and then register the new care (you know, use the camera and add the expiration date and security code). Worked beautifully and quickly.

NOTE: If you try to add the new AMEX card without first deleting the new AMEX card, you'll get a message saying the card is already registered.

Jun 1, 2015 2:25 PM in response to dweller51

Since this thread is the first thing that came up from a standard web search for this, I think it's important to note what I have learned in several other places:

It is unnecessary to update the expiration date and security code for Apple Pay when you receive a replacement physical card.

Apple works with the banks to perform the security tasks that these are for in a better way.

Sep 13, 2015 1:30 PM in response to safriday

I was forced to delete card and add again with only an expiration date change. Purchasers attempted with apple pay using card that had been changed did not work and Chade confirmed it was because of a bad expiration date. I assumed same thing but it needed to be changed. Maybe some cards work differently but my chase card had to be manually updated.

Feb 29, 2016 2:24 PM in response to richard4339

The strange thing when this happened to me was that the POS terminal said the card was expired, but my Apple Watch said the payment was approved and there was no other information to say the card was expired. It's a very frustrating user experience when you only find this out at the POS and you get conflicting information like this.

Feb 29, 2016 2:56 PM in response to dweller51

Whenever you are issued with a replacement for a payment card that has been added to Apple Pay, you should check with your bank / card issuer to find out whether you need to take any action:

Some card issuers may automatically associate your new card with the existing Device Account Number (created when your original card was added to your device), replacing the old card. This leaves you free to continue using the same card account via Apple Pay without needing to do anything yourself.

Other issuers may require you to remove your old card from Apple Pay and add the replacement as a new card.

Any given issuer may also take different approaches depending upon the circumstances (for example: routine card replacement vs lost card).

Before removing an old card, first check with your card issuer to learn which process applies in that instance and whether you need to do anything. Depending on your bank / card issuer, this information may also be available via their website.

How do I change expiration date and security code on a card already registered with Apple Pay?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.