Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

You cannot change your birthday at this time

I'm trying to change the birhtday year of my son's account and I receive the 'You cannot change your birthday at this time' error message.

Posted on Nov 30, 2014 7:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2014 12:41 PM

The same thing just happened to me. I entered the correct year for my son but apparently it didn't take and now it thinks he is 5 months old instead of 8 years old. Can someone at apple support override this? I am very frustrated. I even tried changing the year twice when inputting and when it didn't fix it I thought if I proceeded it would catch it.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2014 12:41 PM in response to jmoo2

The same thing just happened to me. I entered the correct year for my son but apparently it didn't take and now it thinks he is 5 months old instead of 8 years old. Can someone at apple support override this? I am very frustrated. I even tried changing the year twice when inputting and when it didn't fix it I thought if I proceeded it would catch it.

Dec 2, 2014 11:33 AM in response to jmoo2

Hi jmoo2,

Once an Apple ID is created for a child, the birthday on record for that Apple ID can not be changed. See this article for reference -

Family Sharing and Apple IDs for kids - Apple Support

Specifically -

Use these steps to create an Apple ID and add the child to your family group:

1. Go to Settings > iCloud > Family, and tap "Create an Apple ID for a child."
  2. Enter your child's birthday and tap Next. The birthday for a child's account can't be changed after the account is created. Be sure to enter the correct date.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

Dec 14, 2014 1:22 PM in response to Brett L

I Entered the correct year for my daughter when setting up account and the system did not change it when creating account.

I am disappointed that it can not be changed as now I have 2 counts for her. The incorrect one (which says she is 9 months old ) and her correct one which I set up next that says she is 7.(which is correct)

And the incorrect account can not be changed or deleted until child is 13yrs old.

I Don't think this is right cause if the system made an error (as it did) I as the parent/guardian/main account holder, should be able to make the decision to keep or change the information.

Apr 12, 2015 6:01 AM in response to Brett L

Hi Brett -- thanks for the reply.

If you are affiliated with Apple, please pass this up the chain -- I think this rash of mistaken dates may be caused by a bug in the Family Settings setup UI on iOS 8. I am ~100% certain I correctly entered April xx, 20yy, and instead got April xx, 2015. I'm a software engineer (at a company you've heard of) and pretty observant, so I'm pretty sure this is a legit report.

Not being able to fix this typo after the fact has changed "yay, iPads!" to severe annoyance. Sounds like I'm not the only one.

Apr 12, 2015 6:02 AM in response to Brett L

Moreover:

> The birthday for a child's account can't be changed after the account is created. Be sure to enter the correct date.

[1] If this must remain an ironclad limitation, then you've ***got*** to show an age confirmation screen as part of account creation.

[2] To see if this is a widespread issue, if I were you (and this hasn't happened yet) I'd check logs for families who are creating duplicate children with the same name. :-)

Nov 25, 2015 1:24 AM in response to wmzetsma

Managed to (sort of) resolve this with Apple Support:

• It's a good idea to make a local backup of all devices that use the child account and make sure all services (iTunes, Appstore, Facetime, iCloud, Find iPhone) on all devices are logged out.
  • Support staff really can't change DOB or any other user data, even if there hase been an obvious mistake. I can understand that for privacy and security reasons.
  • They can (and will, just persist) delete the account entirely (which takes them, no kidding, more than 15 minutes of valuable support time in which lots of verification and disclaiming has to be confirmed, haha)
  • Deleting the account removes it from your family and disables all services (iTunes, Appstore, Facetime, iCloud) for this account.
  • The account id (someone@icloud.com) can never be re-used;
  • Probably there will be some issues with previously purchased content. My kid had none (only free stuff) so no problem here.

You can now use your own account (card verfification required) to create a new child account (with a different someone@icloud.com id), and add it to your family.

Log your kid back in to Facetime, iCloud, iTunes, Appstore on all devices and all appears to be back to normal.

Another workaround would be to create a new (never again to be used) adult Apple ID for yourself, invite your kid to your 'new family' which removes it from your real family. Then, create a fresh Apple ID for your kid (with correct DOB!!) and add it to your real family. Don't ever look at your fake Apple ID again, it shouldn't bother you.

You cannot change your birthday at this time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.