Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite 10.10.1 and Firewire ports

Hello -

I recently updated my Early 2009 MacPro computer to Yosemite 10.10.1. On occasion, I use the computer's FireWire ports to ingest video files from my Panasonic AG-HPX170 videocamera (and its P2 memory cards). Since updating to 10.10.1, I haven't been able to successfully do this. The ingesting (copying) process initiates as usual, but the process abruptly stops while the files are being ingested (copied) onto a dedicated HDD used for video editing; the ingesting process abruptly stops after about 300 or 400 MBs of file information has been copied. Prior to updating to 10.10.1, I've been able to copy the video files from the the P2 memory card through the HPX170 flawlessly. This included previous Operating Systems including the initial version of Yosemite. Not so with 10.10.1. Did Yosemite 10.10.1 somehow break the use of FireWire ports (for their older computers)?

The FireWire port to my computer as well as to my HPX170 are in good working order. The FireWire cables are in good working order. After booting up my computer from another HDD housing Apple's Mavericks OS (latest version), I was able to copy the video files onto my video editing HDD, thankfully.

Finally, I am able to ingest the video files from the HPX170 to the Mac Pro via the USB 2 port. It's ingesting video files via the FireWire port & 10.10.1 that's problematic.

Here is my system: Mac Pro (Early 2009; 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon); 32 GBs RAM; NVIDIA Quadro K5000 video card (with updated NVIDIA driver); 7 internal SSDs (from OWC), 2 external RAID-0 setups via eSATA; MOTU 2408 MK3 audio device; various audio and video editing programs including Final Cut Pro X and Logic Pro X (updated version).

Thank you for any thoughtful insight and/or solution(s) to this problem.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), 2.26 8-Core; 32 GB RAM; K5000 video

Posted on Dec 1, 2014 4:07 AM

3 replies

Feb 25, 2015 10:59 AM in response to efiebke

I think this resembles your entry:

I have an imac 27" late 2009, 2.8 Ghz i7 16Gb 1067 Mhz DD3. After Update to Yosemite (as of 25-2-2015 it's version 10.10.2) all my firewire connections fail. Everything worked superb with lion,mountain lion, snow leopard and mavericks. Cable and disks are working on other macs (mac pro and mac mini). When I connect the drives to an usb port on the same imac everything works.

The disks will mount but after copying some of the material the disks stop en unmount themselves, leaving the computer with an error. This is also the case when I use the disk for video-editing. I use firewire disks with a Avid Mediacomposer... and usb2 is to slow for editing video material... this is not an option.

I'm very desperate: did reboot, did opt cmd P+R, turned mac and disk down for hours unplugged, restarted several times, even formatted the disks under yosemite and every other thing you read about on the internet. Nothing seems to work. Even my external bluray disk recorder (no harddrive) won't work with firewire (usb2 only).

I have bought over 30 Tbytes of firewire disks from the apple store. Just recently... in okt 2014, i bought 4 Tbytes. I can't imagine that apple discontinues this connection so quickly?? There must be a solution OR AN UPDATE??

Help... please??!!

Yosemite 10.10.1 and Firewire ports

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.