Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iMac wont allow External USB card readers to mount

My 27in late 2013 iMac using Yosemite 10.10.1 will not recognize USB card readers. I've tried 3 different card readers and even a brand new 3.0 reader. I only Lexar Professional Compact Flash cards, so I have to use an external card reader. My 2010 Macbook Pro has no problems reading all 3 of my external card readers. If I plug in an SD card to the external card reader nothing happens, but if I insert the SD card straight into the iMac it can recognize the card immediately. What am I doing wrong?

iMac with Retina 5K display, iOS 8.1.1

Posted on Dec 1, 2014 6:28 AM

2 replies

Dec 1, 2014 8:09 AM in response to miabaker86

everything connected to usb require a driver

some drivers are generic and build into most operating systems some drivers are given to the operating system makers such

as apple and microsoft and shipped as a part of the operating system install

if a device you connect to a computer require a driver not included in your operating system one way or the other you need to install the driver manually this can be done by downloading it from the hardware makers site or by installing it from an optical disc that came with the hardware

New iMac wont allow External USB card readers to mount

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.