Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand new MacBook Pro frozen on spinning wheel

So I got a brand new MacBook Pro. I brought it home, booted it up, and went through the initial setup process.

I get to the screen where it asks if I want to enable FileVault. I click yes. The spinning wheel of death starts spinning. I wait a minute...2 minutes....5 minutes....10 minutes.....it ended up taking close to 40 minutes to stop spinning so I could continue on with the setup.

I contemplated shutting down the computer at the 15 minute mark, but I decided to just walk away and check on it every few minutes.

So now it seems to be running fine, but still. This is a brand new computer and it practically froze for 40 minutes within seconds of booting up for the first time.

Is this anything to be concerned about?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Dec 1, 2014 7:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2014 7:56 AM

When you turned on FileVault, you instructed the Mac to encrypt all the data on the entire disk drive. Of course that is going to take time. What did you expect that it would be able to do all of that processing in no time?

36 replies

Dec 1, 2014 9:24 AM in response to Allan Eckert

Right. But a few things:

1. Apple usually warns you when something is going to take a long time. (ex: "This may take several minutes.") This didn't include any warning of the sort.

2. Apple usually uses progress bars for things like this, not the spinning wheel of death.

3. It's a brand new computer. The disk drive is a small as it is ever going to be. 40 minutes?

You'd think for such a basic step on a brand new computer it would be smoother. The computer basically froze for 40 minutes with no warning.

Jan 23, 2015 7:50 AM in response to Allan Eckert

Breaking it down super slow.

I got to the screen in the initial setup were it asks if i want to setup FileVault. I tell it no, and it still takes 40 minutes to get past that screen.

I said its messed up because I still had to deal with the crazy wait even though nothing was being encrypted.

If further breakdown is required, please let me know.

Jan 23, 2015 7:59 AM in response to vwg

Its not the spinning wheel of death - its the beach ball of cool your jets - this is going to take some time to finish up.

Apple probably took out all of the warnings etc - because they felt it was too much a bother and they knew what was going - big mistake.

Send feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback/

The one time that I know of that Apple reversed what they did - was on hearing a modem dial out. They took it out at one of the early OS 10 releases then put it back later - after complaints including mine - that not having the option to hear what was going on caused problems. -- Not just internet access but also paperless fax going to a physical fax machine.

Feb 6, 2015 6:31 PM in response to vwg

I experienced a 40 minute wait watching the spinning color wheel while setting up my brand new Macbook Pro 15" w/Retina. It happened on the setup screen which asks whether I want FileVault enabled. The default was checked and I (not wanting it because of Virtual Machines I need to run) UNchecked it. It was a little unnerving since there was no indication that UNchecking the option would give the appearance of a frozen machine. After 40 minutes, the desktop appeared and all is well. Just be forewarned that some patience may be required if you de-select this option (other posts I've seen indicate this happens when choosing 'yes' to this option as well). Happy Computing!

Feb 8, 2015 4:22 PM in response to vwg

Reassuring to have read these posts. I too have just experienced a +/-40 min spinning wheel whilst setting up my brand new MacBook Pro 15" w/Retina mid-2014 (Yosemite 2.5Ghz/Intel Core i7). For me the wheel happened on the screen "Create a Computer Account", after clicking the CONTINUE button. For info, in the screen "Transfer Information to this Mac" I had ticked the box NOT NOW and the word "Filevault" did not appear on that screen. Also, if it's of any help to other worried folk, I had skipped the screen asking for an Apple ID, preferring to do that later.

Brand new MacBook Pro frozen on spinning wheel

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.