Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blue screen tint with Yosemite 10.10.1 - MBP 15" Mid 2010 Model 6,2

Who is having this issue, have you resolved it, and how did you do it: Coinciding with Yosemite 10.10.1. my entire screen has begun to take on a blue tint. This was not an issue with 10.10.0. This is a MacBook Pro 6,2 with 4GB system RAM. Graphics is with built-in Intel HD Graphics (and standard 288MB VRAM), and the standard NVidia GeForce GT330M graphics in PCI (and 256MB VRAM).

The blue cast appears when using Microsoft Outlook 2011 (back to normal when it quits), Adobe Photoshop CS6 (sometimes yes, sometimes no), and intermittently when running Firefox or Safari (where the blue cast seems to coincide with invoking plug-ins). All of these applications are up to date.

Attempts to resolve this include:

1) Downloaded and installed the latest software updates for Outlook, Photoshop, Firefox and Safari. Made no difference.

2) System Preferences -> Displays -> Color -> Calibrate. I initially thought that the Color Sync profile had been corrupted, but the color was so 'off' that my attempt to manually recalibrate the screen could not go far enough. So I abandoned this.

3) System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Automatic Graphics Switching. Checking Automatic Graphics Switching works, but un-checking it and the blue cast comes back immediately.

4) Running Disk Utilities -> Repair Permissions. Didn't work.

5) Cleared all caches using Onyx: Worked for 10 minutes, then blue came back

6) Reset PRAM: Worked for two days, now the blue is back.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), 15" Model 6,2-Mid-2010 w/4GB RAM

Posted on Dec 1, 2014 9:38 AM

11 replies

Dec 13, 2014 9:49 AM in response to Steve H

same issue -- interestingly it appeared Right after i upgraded safari to 8.0.2 i rebooted. a few hours later and blam - blue tint

not impressed -- i used this mac of photography -- i cannot colour correct w/ this tint.

changing energy settings and colour calibrate did nada.

i just noticed that the colour sync profile util is open - it says i have 3 broken profiles and 1 is not able to be repaired (locked) -- but i dont recognize any of these profile names.

also fixing em did not fix the issue.

MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2010)

Dec 16, 2014 7:07 PM in response to Steve H

I have the same problem but only with Photoshop. Log out helps for a while.

Somewhere in the forums was the information about reasons: this problem still alive since the days of the Mountain Lion only because of SSD.

Is that true?

Mb pro 15' 2012 mid with SSD on it. MacOS 10.10.1

So can we get any official advices or? Looks like software bug, doesn't it?

Hope for solution soon!

Thank you!

Jan 8, 2015 6:40 AM in response to Steve H

I have exactly the same problem with my mac mid 2010, I found out that this problem seems to be appearing only when using the Nvidia card and not when using the intel integrated.

My only solution for now is to use gfxcardstatus and to force the graphic to stay with the integrated instead of switching to the Nvidia. This would probably explain why it take the bluish tint when using photoshop.

Feb 22, 2015 11:46 AM in response to Steve H

I have been running into this problem whenever I run an app that pushes the graphics over the nVidia graphics card. I updated the driver (http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-cuda-6.5.25-driver.html) and then tried again with the same blue tint. Then rebooted and no more issues. Curious to see if this might be a fix for any of you still having issues.

TP

Mar 12, 2015 8:09 AM in response to Steve H

Hi, I also have had this issue on my MBP 15' Mid 2015 but not since updating to Yosemite.

Recently I have upgraded the optical drive to a SSD with a fresh install of Yosemite and everything was working well until I installed Photoshop & Dreamweaver CC along with the latest Java. When I opened Dreamweaver for the first time the screen switched to a blue tint but reverted when the program was closed. When using the Spotify app, along with the blue tint I noticed some lines randomly distorted on the display.

I installed the above Nvidia driver and also uninstalled the Adobe Flash Player after reading on another old discussion there has been an issue with it leaking memory. Maybe there is a similar issue with the latest release? This seems to have fixed my problem, sorry I cannot say which one of the above worked, I completed both steps before restarting. I still need to reinstall a previous version of Flash player so I will get back if I have any updates.

Blue screen tint with Yosemite 10.10.1 - MBP 15" Mid 2010 Model 6,2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.