Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I re-hide folders?

I've been using my macbook for about 2 years, and have gone through both the mavericks & yosemite updates. Before I did this, however, I decided it was a good idea to permanently unhide all folders everywhere, and now I can't get them hidden again (I can see .ds_store and .TRASHES most of the time, it depends on what folder I'm in). I do not know how I did it, but i remember pasting something into terminal about a week after I got the computer. Any help on re-hiding these folders that are hidden by default would be spectacular.

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 1, 2014 10:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 12:21 AM

Hi Teke0884,

This should help you with the hidden files on finder.

Paste this on Terminal and hit "Return"

Hide: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles NO

Unhide: defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

Relaunch the Finder by Holding "Alt or Option" and click Relaunch.

Cheers

Greig Quinn

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2017 12:21 AM in response to teke0884

Hi Teke0884,

This should help you with the hidden files on finder.

Paste this on Terminal and hit "Return"

Hide: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles NO

Unhide: defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

Relaunch the Finder by Holding "Alt or Option" and click Relaunch.

Cheers

Greig Quinn

Dec 1, 2014 10:30 AM in response to teke0884

Enable Finder to Show Invisible Files and Folders

Open the Terminal application in your Utilities folder. At the prompt enter or paste the following command line then press RETURN.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

To turn off the display of invisible files and folders enter or paste the following command line and press RETURN.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

killall Finder

Alternatively you can use one of the numerous third-party utilities such as TinkerTool or ShowHideInvisibleFiles - VersionTracker or MacUpdate.

Dec 1, 2014 10:51 AM in response to teke0884

Then I don't know what to suggest. There is no practical way to change the settings on every file on the computer. Something you have done has "fixed" this state such that the OS cannot undo it.

What you might try is using the TRUE option to reset all files to be visible, then reset to FALSE, and see if that will fake the OS into fixing it for you.

May 27, 2016 8:11 AM in response to teke0884

After trying all of the terminal commands to no avail, I ended up deleting the com.apple.finder plist file in /Library/Preferences. After that, I relaunched Finder from the Force Quit menu. It created a new com.apple.finder plist file which contained all of the default settings. The hidden files were hidden again.
Caution: If you do this you may erase any other custom finder settings you previously created. In this case there were not any other settings I was concerned about.

13" MacBook Pro Retina running El Capitan.

How do I re-hide folders?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.