Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to secure my wireless printer?

I am currently sharing the wireless network with 4 other people in my apartment. However, I have bought a canon mx726 wireless printer, and someone in my house have assess that printer without my permission. How can I secure my printer?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 1, 2014 11:35 AM

5 replies

Dec 1, 2014 12:31 PM in response to Ben Dang

Ben Dang wrote:

Thank you for your suggestion but are there any other way? I still want to use the AirPrint function on my mac

The Canon has a feature called Access Restriction. Open a web browser and type the IP address of the MX as the URL. This will connect to the internal web page of the MX. Press the Advanced button and then select Network Settings. At the bottom of this page you will see "Printer access restriction". If you click "Enable access restriction" and then click the Modify button to enter the IP address of your Mac. If you have more than one device then you can set a range of IPv4 addresses. With the information set, save the values and then exit from the MX web page.

Note that for the above to work flawlessly, your devices need to obtain the same IP address each time they connect to the wireless router. And more importantly, the devices used by your flatmates also need to obtain an IP address that is not one of the approved IP addresses. So you will need to look at assigning IPv4 addresses based on the MAC (network) address of each device. If you connect to your routers web page, this will most likely show this information and let you note the address used by each device on the local network.

How to secure my wireless printer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.