Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto Library not allowing transfer to external drive

Hi, when attempting to copy all of the iPhoto Library to an external drive (137GB) I receive error code -36, cannot be read or written about 50GB into the transfer.

Same external drive runs Time Machine and has everything backed up. But I'm looking to move this huge junk of stored photos off my internal drive. I've tried fixing iPhoto permissions and removing some .3gp video files I thought may have tripped it up to no avail. Any advice?

Running MacBook Pro 10.6.8.

Posted on Dec 1, 2014 2:50 PM

9 replies

Dec 1, 2014 3:03 PM in response to Groosh

How's your external drive with the Time Machine backups formatted? Is the file system "MacOS Extended (Journaled)"?

"error code -36" is an I/O error.

I have seen it at these occasions:

• Hardware problems: When either the source drive or the destination drive are starting to fail. When you are seeing this error, back up your drive asap, to be on the safe side, as long as you can still read it and check the drive with disk utility.
  • Wrong file system: When one of the drives is not formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled), there may be files that cannot be written with the original filename. For example files with ethnic characters in the name can cause problems when writing them to a drive, that is not formatted correctly (see: Use locally mounted Mac OS X Extended volumes for your Aperture library,iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users) Check the file system of your external drives. How are they formatted?
  • Library corruption and permission problems: Usually setting the "ignore Ownership on this volume" flag for your external drive would help. But you cannot do that on a Time Machine volume.
    Try the iPhoto Library First Aid Tools and repair or rebuild your iPhoto LIbrary.

To repair the iPhoto library with the First Aid tools:

• Try to launch into the First Aid Tools by holding down the key combination option-command ⌥⌘ and clicking the iPhoto icon to launch iPhoto.
  • Keep the two buttons firmly held down, until you are seeing the First Aid panel.
  • Then select "Repair database".

It is not a good idea to have the iPhoto Library on a Time Machine volume for several reasons:

• Time Machine and iPhoto will fight for space.
  • You cannot backup your iPhoto Library.
  • You will have problems with permission errors, because you cannot set the ignore ownership flag.

Get a second external drive for your photos, so you can have a backup of the photos.

Dec 2, 2014 8:25 AM in response to léonie

Thanks again. Well I've tried:

• Going through my library and changing/removing files with the character "&". I can't think of any other funny characters to check

• Rebuilt the library database using your directions

• Formatted a different drive MacOS Extended (Journaled) and copied to that one

Still the same error code persists and the exact same point, about 50.48GB into my transfer.

I'm planning on getting a new computer. Will I be able to restore all photos from Time Machine on the new computer?

Dec 2, 2014 10:02 AM in response to Groosh

Try rebuilding the library with the free version of iPhoto Library Manager but have the rebuilt library created on the EHD.

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

1 - download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.>Click on the Add Library button,

User uploaded file

2 - select the library you want to add from those in the selection window.

3 - make sure that in the rebuild window the checkbox "Scavange orphaned photos" is checked.

User uploaded file

4 - now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the Library ➙ Rebuild Library menu option

User uploaded file

5 - in the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed. Click on the Create button.

Note 1: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments. However, books, calendars, cards and slideshows will be lost.

Note 2: Your current library will be left untouched for further attempts at a fix if so desired.

User uploaded file

Dec 3, 2014 12:37 PM in response to Old Toad

Thank you that worked! However, I'm a bit confused. Here is the log:

2014-12-03 13:26:19.590 22476 photos were imported

1152 movies were imported

59 albums were copied

1249 events were copied

4 photos failed to be successfully imported into the destination library by iPhoto

4 errors occurred during the transfer

You can see I have 23,628 total files according to the import which amounted to 129.13 GB on my back up hard drive.

Yet, my original iPhoto Library shows 23,015 items at 138 GB on my internal drive. Less items but more memory used.

Do you think I'm missing 10 gigs of photos/video? I do have a scavenged folder with 620 on the rebuilt backup which gets me pretty close to total items but still doesn't account for 10 GBs of loss.

iPhoto Library not allowing transfer to external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.