Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to back up Files on Disk Utility

My Mac Book Pro doesn't start. when I press the start button It chimes, apple logo, line loading and turns off. Once and again. I tried the Comand-option-P-R and nothing. Tried a lot of tricks I found online and nothing. Finally -And Im not sure how, I think it was the Comand-R opened the Disk Utility and could hit the repair the disk, It said that It couldn't repair -I have almost full capacity 499GB used- but cant remove files since I cant start the computer. Disk Utility told me to Back up Files and Restore -meaning it will wipe out the data, but i will have it on my back up- How do I back up using external hard drive. Thanks for any help.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Dec 1, 2014 5:08 PM

18 replies

Jan 15, 2017 3:24 PM in response to obarillas

The easiest way to recover your files from a Mac:

If you hard drive has failed on your IMac or apple laptop and is it not booting then Do This To Recover Your Files:

1. Put your device into Target Disk Mode. (You can enter Target Disk Mode by rebooting your Mac and holding down the T key as it boots)

2. Connect your Mac via a Firewire or Thunderbolt cable to another Mac (lets call it the Second Mac)

3. Open Finder in the Second Mac,

4. Look for the First Mac’s “Macintosh HD” under Devices and click on it to open it

5. Located the “Users” folder, Your files and documents are under “Users” folder

6. Drag them to another location in you Second Mac.

7. You have now recovered your documents.

8. Disconnect the First Mac and take it to an apple store where they will charge you $200-$300 to change the hard drive.

9. Back up your files on the Second Mac

Macs can boot into a “Target Disk Mode” that causes them to function like an external hard drive. Connect one Mac to another Mac and you can access its files in the Finder.

Target Disk Mode works with Macs, so you’ll need two Macs for this. Each Mac needs either a Thunderbolt port or a Firewire port.

While in Target Disk Mode, your Mac will act as an external drive and appear in the Finder on your other Mac.

All its internal partitions will appear if it has multiple partitions.

Look for an external drive named “Macintosh HD.” You can click the drive and copy files back and forth like you would with a normal external drive.

Dec 1, 2014 5:13 PM in response to obarillas

Clone Yosemite, Mavericks, Lion/Mountain Lion using Restore Option of Disk Utility

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu then press the Continue

button.

2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.

3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.

4. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag it

to the Destination entry field.

5. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to

the Source entry field.

6. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

Destination means the external backup drive. Source means the internal startup drive.

Note that the above clone includes both your internal boot volume and the Recovery HD volume you used for the above. I suggest that the backup disk you use has a larger capacity than the one in your computer. That way you should be able to boot from this backup. Since the drive you have is 500 GBs then the external drive you use for the backup clone should be at least 750 GBs.

Dec 1, 2014 5:33 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for the quick response. I will have to get a new External Drive since the one I have is 500GB. A few questions. I guess the volume form the left side list is Macintosh HD right ? And I just drag it to the External Drive that it should appear under Macintosh on that list since I tried the one i had and it showed right there. And then Once Its done I got the External Out and restore ? Thanks... By the way do you think this is happening because theres no space on the computer since I basically have all the 500GB used? is there any way I can delete files from Disk Utility ?

Thanks again

Dec 1, 2014 7:35 PM in response to obarillas

Your computer's internal drive is called Macintosh HD. You will format the external drive for OS X and give it whatever name you want or leave it with the default name of Untitled. Your computer's drive is the source drive. The external drive is the destination drive.

Yes, the problem is because you have allowed the drive to become filled resulting in a corrupted directory or worse that has made the disk unbootable. For future reference you should always maintain at least 20 GBs of free space or 10% or the drive's capacity, whichever is greater. And, you will make life much easier by having and maintaining regular backups.

Dec 8, 2014 7:02 PM in response to obarillas

So I finally got the external drive with enough capacity. I followed the steps you mentioned. SOurce: Macintosh HD ... Destination: My Passport for Mac. It asked me if I wanted to erase the content on My passport for mac and I said yes. Then pressed the restore button. It says estimate time 10 hours.. Is it normal or will it change ? its copying though

Dec 8, 2014 7:13 PM in response to obarillas

Once is backed up on my external hard drive, I can open it in another computer right so I check that I have everything and can go back to my MacBook Pro and then restore to wipe out the computer ... Can I then open my external on my other laptop and erase some files so I dont bring all the files back ? Sorry for so many stupid questions

Dec 8, 2014 7:15 PM in response to Kappy

So I finally got the external drive with enough capacity. I followed the steps you mentioned. SOurce: Macintosh HD ... Destination: My Passport for Mac. It asked me if I wanted to erase the content on My passport for mac and I said yes. Then pressed the restore button. It says estimate time 10 hours.. Is it normal or will it change ? its copying though.

Once is backed up on my external hard drive, I can open it in another computer right so I check that I have everything and can go back to my MacBook Pro and then restore to wipe out the computer ... Can I then open my external on my other laptop and erase some files so I dont bring all the files back ? Sorry for so many stupid questions

Dec 8, 2014 7:18 PM in response to obarillas

If you have a lot of data to transfer it can take quite a while over USB. 10 hours isn't out of the question for a few hundred GBs, more or less.

Once everything is transferred to the external drive you can boot the MBP from it in order to completely erase the drive on the MBP. You can also connect the external drive to another Mac and restore all or some of your files to that Mac.

Dec 9, 2014 6:06 PM in response to Kappy

So overnight it finished backing it up. I think. I couldn't eject form Disk Utility.. I tried everything so i turned off the computer. I connected the external hard drive to my other laptop , and I see the 495GB on the info, I can open Applications and tried opening Itunes and Iphoto but it says "You cant open IPhoto because its not supported on this architecture". Not sure If i did everything ok. At this point I just want to back up my Itunes library and if its possible Iphoto. Thanks for any input and sorry for all the time you have taken on this

Dec 14, 2014 11:39 AM in response to obarillas

You need to boot from your backup disk using:

Boot Using OPTION key:

1. Restart the computer.

2. Immediately after the chime press and hold down the

"OPTION" key.

3. Release the key when the boot manager appears.

4. Select the desired disk icon from which you want to boot.

5. Click on the arrow button below the icon.

Once booted from the backup drive then:

Clone using Restore Option of Disk Utility

1. Open Disk Utility in the Utilities folder.

2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.

3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.

4. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag

it to the Destination entry field.

5. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to

the Source entry field.

6. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

Destination means the now erased internal drive. Source means the external backup drive.

Once booted from the backup drive you need to partition and format the internal drive:

Drive Partition and Format

1. Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.

2. After DU loads select your internal hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Note the SMART status of the drive in DU's status area. If it does not say "Verified" then the drive is failing or has failed and will need replacing. SMART info will not be reported on external drives. Otherwise, click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Apply button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

5. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Security button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.

6. Click on the Erase button. The format process can take up to several hours depending upon the drive size.

Steps 4-6 are optional but should be used on a drive that has never been formatted before, if the format type is not Mac OS Extended, if the partition scheme has been changed, or if a different operating system (not OS X) has been installed on the drive.

Dec 14, 2014 12:33 PM in response to obarillas

The first part is booting from your backup drive. The second is repartitioning and reformatting the internal drive. Restoring your files is simply Cloning but reversing the Destination and Source drives. The backup drive from which you are booted becomes the Source while the newly formatted internal drive becomes the Destination.

How to back up Files on Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.