Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Revert from the new caps lock modification on intel based notebooks.

On the new intel-based macbooks, you now need to hold the caps lock button slightly longer in order to actually activate capitals. The purpose of this feature was to prevent accidental activation of the caps lock.

I have found this feature to be a massive hindrance to my ability to type on my laptop and it's proving to be increasingly frustrating. I type very fast and as such I hit the caps lock button successively when typing, but oftentimes it doesn't actually register that I touched it. i END UP WITH SENTENCES LIKE THIS. oR sOMETIMES lIKE tHIS.

This is doing my head in and its impacting my use of my laptop. I purchased it with the intention of doing a lot of my word documents on it but increasingly I've noticed the significant amount of time I have to waste going back over sentences and editing them because the caps lock hasn't activated in the way I expected it to.

And no, typing more slowly i not an option. I have a lot of work to do and its incredibly frustrating that the expensive piece of electronics I purchased to do it on is actually making my life more difficult. I like this laptop a lot, but this feature is driving me insane. If there is any way to turn this off please let me know.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), iOS 8.1.1

Posted on Dec 1, 2014 5:30 PM

2 replies

Mar 5, 2015 2:49 AM in response to hampseyface

This is terribly annoying, agreed.

BUT, there is a fix.

(1) Go to settings > keyboard > modifier keys

(2) Change the action for the caps lock key to anything else & hit ok

(3) open modifier keys again, change the action for the caps lock key back to caps lock & hit ok

BOOM, the lag in your caps lock key is gone! (this works in yosemite & mountain lion -- I haven't had the opp to try it on other os x versions).

The only problem is that every time you restart your computer you will have to do this again.. on my macbook it seems to happen if my computer has been sleeping for long periods of time as well, although on my mac at work i can go weeks without having to utilize the method above as long as I don't restart my computer.

Aug 14, 2015 7:07 AM in response to hampseyface

Hampseyface,

i couldn't have articulated the problem more clearly than you have in your post. i have the exact same problem and it is incredibly frustrating. sometimes I use my PC when i know that there will be a lot of typing involved. wE shouln't have to modify our habits/behaviour for this new apple feature - at the very least there should be a reliable way to deactivate the feature (permanently).

-js

Revert from the new caps lock modification on intel based notebooks.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.