Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Podcasts crashes iPhone 6 iOS 8.1.1

I just transferred my podcasts subscriptions to my new iPhone 6 without problems. When I play a podcast, the Podcasts app crashes after about 30 seconds.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.1

Posted on Dec 1, 2014 7:00 PM

13 replies

Dec 3, 2014 8:58 AM in response to bri4nphd

Hey there bri4nphd,

If your Podcasts app is still not staying open when you try to play them back, I would start by quitting all the running apps on the phone:

iOS: Force an app to close

Double-click the Home button.

Swipe left or right until you have located the app you wish to close.

Swipe the app up to close it.

When you have done that restart the device and test the issue again:

iOS: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

If the issue persists, backup your device to iTunes and then restore it as a new device and verify that it works.

How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups

If it does, then restore your backup to either verify it still works and the software just needed reinstalled, or isolate the issue to the backup file itself.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the best,

Sterling

Dec 3, 2014 9:12 AM in response to sterling r

I tried the killing Podcasts and restarting my iPhone. The Podcasts app still crashes after playing for a few seconds (14 seconds this time).

This is a brand new iPhone 6, so I do not see any reason why erasing and restoring from backup will fix this issue. Hopefully, Apple will fix the Podcast app in the next iOS update. Until then, I will continue using my laptop, which plays podcasts fine in iTunes (where Apple should have left the podcasts on the iPhone as well.)

It would be nice if there was the option to delete and reinstall just the Podcasts app, but the app appears to be hardwired into the new iOS 8. I might look for a 3rd party podcast app that actually works.

Thank you

Brian

Dec 10, 2014 10:33 AM in response to sterling r

I just updated to the latest iOS 8.1.2 and the Podcast app still crashes after about 30 seconds.

One observation that I did not notice before, the Podcast app crashes even when no podcasts are being played. Just opening the app and waiting about 30 seconds and the app crashes.

I really can not believe that this has not been fixed in the latest update to iOS 8.

Dec 17, 2014 8:14 AM in response to bri4nphd

In my case it succeeds in rebooting the whole phone, not just crashing the app. When listening to Podcasts or having the Podcast app open the phone will periodically reboot. Often rebooting more than once though it always eventually returns to a normal state. It can be after a few minutes or after an hour of listening to podcasts. It appears not to reboot at other times or until I use the podcast app.

I haven't tried erasing the whole device but I have been having an issue since 8.1 and through the two subsequent upgrades.

I subscribe to a number of podcasts so It is also possible that it is specific podcast with specific file codec or just the volume of storage involved are causing an issue.

Are others seeing a phone reboot rather than just the application exiting unexpectedly?

Jan 2, 2015 7:01 AM in response to bri4nphd

The Podcast app is now working, but not sure if what I did was the fix or if it was a silent update to iTunes. I deleted all podcast from my iPhone and resubscribed to the podcasts through the Podcast app, which now runs without crashing. The caveat is that I lost all podcasts from before 2014. I had about 2000 podcasts through this subscription, but iTunes and the Podcasts app will not download anything more than a year old.

Jun 23, 2015 7:41 AM in response to bri4nphd

The curious behavior on my iPhone is that there is one podcast that restarts my iPhone every time. The podcast is only produced every other week or so, but whenever I start listening to that podcast, my iPhone restarts after about 15 seconds. If I try to pause the podcast or interact with it, it will often trigger the restart also. It's not a huge problem - I just find it really curious. Thanks, Bill

Podcasts crashes iPhone 6 iOS 8.1.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.