Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sleep to memory or ssd?

Hi all,

Could someone tell me , it is written to memory or ssd when Mac starting sleep?

My MacBook Pro is equipped with 512G ssd.

I set the auto sleep interval to 1 minutes. This would result in frequent sleep and wake up.

I wonder, when sleeping, the current context of OS is saved in memory or ssd?

If later, I mean saving to ssd, that is a lots of I/O on ssd.

As you know, the ssd has write time limit, that is my concern about the frequent sleep.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 1, 2014 7:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2014 7:51 PM

If it is set for hibernation mode the contents of memory are written to a disk file.

Description and modification of the different hibernate modes

When the computer goes into sleeping mode, its behavior depends on a power management variable called hibernatemode. The hibernate mode can be set to different values:

• 0 - Default sleep behavior on most Apple computers. RAM is still powered on while sleeping. Wake up is fast. Safe sleep is disabled.
  • 1 - Hibernation behavior. System is totally shut down while sleeping. RAM contents are dumped to disk. Wake up is slow.
  • 3 - Default behavior on Powerbook HD computers. RAM is still powered on while sleeping. Wake up is fast. Safe sleep is enabled, so RAM contents are also dumped to disk before going to sleep.

Only a single mode can be activated at a time. In order to check what hibernate mode is currently active, the following command can be used in the Terminal application:

pmset -g | grep hibernatemode

In addition, users with administrator privileges can choose the hibernate mode. In order to do so, the following command can be used:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode X

Replace X with the value of the hibernate mode to set. Enter your admin password when prompted. It will not be echoed.

Also see Energy Saver- About sleep and idle modes in Mac OS X.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2014 7:51 PM in response to huangyingw

If it is set for hibernation mode the contents of memory are written to a disk file.

Description and modification of the different hibernate modes

When the computer goes into sleeping mode, its behavior depends on a power management variable called hibernatemode. The hibernate mode can be set to different values:

• 0 - Default sleep behavior on most Apple computers. RAM is still powered on while sleeping. Wake up is fast. Safe sleep is disabled.
  • 1 - Hibernation behavior. System is totally shut down while sleeping. RAM contents are dumped to disk. Wake up is slow.
  • 3 - Default behavior on Powerbook HD computers. RAM is still powered on while sleeping. Wake up is fast. Safe sleep is enabled, so RAM contents are also dumped to disk before going to sleep.

Only a single mode can be activated at a time. In order to check what hibernate mode is currently active, the following command can be used in the Terminal application:

pmset -g | grep hibernatemode

In addition, users with administrator privileges can choose the hibernate mode. In order to do so, the following command can be used:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode X

Replace X with the value of the hibernate mode to set. Enter your admin password when prompted. It will not be echoed.

Also see Energy Saver- About sleep and idle modes in Mac OS X.

sleep to memory or ssd?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.