Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite: freeze + graphics problem

Hi everybody,

I have Retina MacBook Pro 15'' Late 2013, 2,3 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, Intel Iris Pro + NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M.

It runs OS X Yosemite 10.10.1.

My mac has started to freeze from time to time such that only complete switch off / switch on can help. After I restart it a message appears saying "Graphics problem has been detected". I dont do anything specific while freeze happens(just browsing the internet in Google Chrome).

I attach generated logs from /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41910425/Kernel_logs.zip

If somebody knows how to fix this(at least temporary) please respond ^_^. Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 2, 2014 12:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2014 2:47 AM

This is a temporary fix you can try: System Preferences > Energy Saver > Uncheck the dialogue box at the top of the window.

7 replies

Dec 4, 2014 11:04 AM in response to YaroslavDev

I've the same machine and issue. I've been to Apple and had the machine wiped as well as a new logic board. My next fix is to try a new user profile and then ask for a new machine. I've a feeling it could be profile issues after speaking to a work colleague that explained there may be some 'bad' files, that were taken form my previous machine, that are causing the hardware/software to not 'talk' properly 😟

Dec 4, 2014 1:41 PM in response to Eric Root

Done that already ... saw a genius guy today, UK store, and he ran a quick GFX test using Grapher to see if he could crash the mac with as many GFX reliant apps possible. Plugged in too.

As always, it was fine .. it didn't flinch one bit at running any of the test and they'd also ran the test the have access to too. Now that I've made it back home, I've opened the lid of the sleeping mac and surprise surprise .. it wouldn't turn on, keyboard lights on but no screen activity. Had to shutdown and back on again .. not cool

Straight up told him that if this keeps happening then I'm looking to return the machine for a lower powered one as it's clearly the Graphic's card switching that's causing the problem.

The next test I'll be doing is installing Maverick's on to a new partition and testing to see if it's OS related ... he said trying a new user profile wouldn't do anything as it's a kernel issue and it shouldn't be user related ...

Dec 30, 2014 5:21 PM in response to YaroslavDev

To YaroslavDev

My iMac Untel 21.5 “ late 2012 (Yosemite 10.10.1) also used to freeze from time to time until a complete switch of.

The solution was not obvious :

Menu Apple > System Preferences > Security & privacy > General > Click the lock to make change > Password > Unlock > Advanced > Uncheck Log out after 10 minutes of inactivity > OK

The time was 10 minutes and checked by default after I Install Yosemite.

Enjoy,

YB24

Yosemite: freeze + graphics problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.