Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard input not working after waking from sleep

Since installing Yosemite I'm seeing a random issue where, after waking my Macbook from sleep, keyboard input is not possible. I can move the mouse using the trackpad, and applications all appear to be running as normal. I can quit applications from the dock also using the trackpad. When trying to type anything I get the 'bong' sound as if input is blocked.

The only fix I've been able to find is either to ssh in from another machine and force a restart, or to force a power off using the power button.

I've tried searching the console logs and can't find anything relevant happening at the point this fails. I've also considered that it could be any number of applications misbehaving, but having quit everything running that is visible in the dock, keyboard input still isn't possible.

Has anyone else seen this, and/or have any suggestions on how to diagnose it further?

Thanks,

Tom

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 2, 2014 7:26 AM

3 replies

May 5, 2015 2:07 PM in response to tomwynne

Ok this is now driving me crazy... I had thought it was Parallels, but it now happens without Parallels even running. I've also tried connecting another bluetooth keyboard and it behaves exactly the same as the internal keyboard... no input possible just the 'bong' sound when keyboard input is prohibited.

I don't even know how to go about diagnosing it. It clearly isn't a hardware issue as an external keyboard does the same thing. I've tried SSH'ing into the machine and killing application by application, but still haven't managed to find the one causing the problem. And that assumes it's even an app... it could be some sort of background or launch application or extension.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Oct 16, 2015 4:36 AM in response to tomwynne

I have started having this problem, too. Mid 2012 MacBook Pro 15" retina. Was running Mavericks but updated to El Capitan. I don't run Parallels but I do run VMWare Fusion 7 much of the time, including when the machine is put to sleep. The whole USB chain seems to fail, as the trackpad, mouse, and all keys on the keyboard fail to function other than the power button. I can press the power button and the "Sleep/Restart/Shutdown" dialog box will pop up but since the keyboard is no longer responding I can't do anything other than hold down the power button to force a restart.

Keyboard input not working after waking from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.