Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail that is saved to a file cannot be opened. says its not downloaded from server

I have set up files in my mail program but some of the mail cannot be opened. I get a prompt that says it has not been downloaded from the server.

yet other items, recipes and photos etc can be opened.

what am i doing wrong?

iPad 2

Posted on Dec 2, 2014 10:14 AM

11 replies

Dec 2, 2014 10:28 AM in response to Demo

my question was not for a mail app, it was if you go to mail then edit you can make files to sort out your mail.

some come thru ok and can be read but others are just sitting there.

I know who they are from or where I got say the recipe from but it cannot be opened.

so my question is how do I save them someplace else- the same way in a file?

I have been using pages to record things I want but now its so full of stuff it has to be moved out.

Dec 2, 2014 11:10 AM in response to Helpme13

I am really trying to understand what you mean, so please bear with me. I could just be misunderstanding you.

You said your not talking about the mail app, but it sounds like you are creating new mailboxes (folders) in order to save and organize emails but when you move the emails to the new folders, some of the attachments can't be downloaded and some of the emails will not open. This ain't working so you want to know where you can save these photos, documents, pdf ,etc.

Am I close?

Dec 2, 2014 5:13 PM in response to Helpme13

Forgive the use of the word "ain't". I cannot seem to get my iPad keyboard dictionary to forget that word and it keeps coming back with autocorrect.

You should not be trying to save files in the Mail app, the way that you are trying to do it. You should be saving the files or attachments into apps that are compatible with the file type that you want to save.

For instance, if someone emails a photo, tap and hold down on the photo and select save image and that will move the photo to the camera roll of the photos app. If you get a pdf file, you can hold down on the attachment and get the Open In window and then select any app that will store pdf files. iBooks and Adobe Reader are both free and both will save pdf files. Adobe Reader is a much more robust app that iBooks for pdf files, but either will work. For Word documents, you can download MS Word for the iPad or use the Pages App like you have been doing.

I don't understand what you mean about Pages getting full of stuff. If you need to organize your Pages files, you can create folders and name them in the Pages app. While in thumbnail or document view, tap the Edit button and all of the thumbnails will wiggle. Drag one thumbnail on top of another one to create a folder. You will be able to name the folder after you drag one file on top of another.

Dec 2, 2014 7:50 PM in response to Demo

wow!

you cannot believe how your last message has helped me.

btw I don't care if you use ain't.

so....

I have been saving photos in the photos app and even made a few folders although at this point I am not sure how I did that.

But my mistake was to save photos from mail in folders in the mail program. Some I am able to move over quite easily and did already dump one whole folder.

Some say there is no content and I am unable to open them, so I will just delete them.

Also some of the other folders I started in my mail program have things I want to keep but I am not sure where to keep them. But now I know I need to move them out of that mail program.

What you said about pages is the best thing yet!

I have many many recipes saved in it. I am a chef and keep techniques records, amounts and some with photo examples that I have taken with them.

I took one section of just cakes alone and stacked them and made a file for it. amazing! then did another of just chocolate cakes.

Lately it has been taking a long time for the pages recipes to come up. Maybe because I have so many? Hopefully this will help.

Just last week I added a recipe and a prompt flew by the screen that I did not read entirely, saying something about deleting a file to make room for the new one I was adding. Could that be?

I need to find a place for classes. I did just attend an ipad class at the new apple store that opened near me. Its the only one around for quite a distance so it is very busy. The class was basic and a few of the people had just gotten them as gifts so did not even know how to turn then on and also did not even have an email address. I am also signed up for an icloud class and iphone. If I learn one new thing I will be happy.

When I got my ipad a few years ago I took several classes at a vo-tech school near me but again it was real real basic and I did not learn half of what your last message has taught me.

thank you very much.

ps what do you call a file you want to make where you save passwords or "secret info" or whatever. Like a safe place or something.

Dec 3, 2014 1:31 PM in response to Helpme13

II'm happy to hear that I was able to provide some help. 🙂

For for the items in the mail app that you want to keep, the file type they are dictates where they can be saved. Like I said, if the files are Word documents, yoy need to save them into an app that is compatible with Word files such as Word for iOS or the Pages app. I have an app called Documents by Readdle that I can store all types of differnet files in. Many people sing the praises of an app called GoodReader for the same reason. Take a look at those two apps and see if one of those will work for you.

I'm not sure what message you saw in Pages about deleting files. I have never seen anything like that, but it sounds like you have quite a few files in Pages, but on the other hand, it should be capable of holding lots and lots of documents. If you see the message again, post back.

There are apps that allow you to store passwords in but you have to remember what the password is in order to use the app! so don't forget that password! I have an app called 1Key for storing passwords. Do a search in the App Store and you will be able to find quite a few such apps.

Dec 3, 2014 1:57 PM in response to Demo

I Will look for the app you suggest but right now I am in hot water and not able to get any mail and its happened twice this week after adding i0s 8.1.1

TOday i deleted my mail yahoo account and then added it back as suggested on this site. But it never came back on my ipad but I am able to use my phone for mail.

I Know this is not the right place but can you suggest where to go?

thanks again for your help.

Dec 3, 2014 2:20 PM in response to Helpme13

When you say that it didn't come back, do you mean that you were not able to add the account back to the iPad, or you added it but you are not getting email? You realize that you can log into your Yahoo mail using Safari, don't you? That will not solve the problem but it is better than reading your mail on the phone, IMO.

Any error messages or any other details that you can provide?

Mar 28, 2015 11:25 AM in response to Helpme13

My wife’s iPad was not downloading Yahoo mail, although her iPhone was. Both used IOS 8.2. We tried deleting the account several times and troubleshooting all of the other settings. The problem appears to have been that allowing the IOS to automatically create the account on the iPad resulted in the wrong settings for the incoming server. The following procedure, pieced together from two websites, fixed the problem for us. So far, so good.

https://portal.smartertools.com/kb/a2659/configure-imap-for-iphone-or-ipad.aspx

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mobile-mail/imap-server-settings-sln4075.html

On the iPhone, tap Settings.

Tap Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

Tap your Yahoo account, then delete it.

Tap Add Account.

Tap Other.

Tap Add Mail Account.

Complete the Name, Address (email address), Password and Description fields.

Click Next.

Ensure IMAP is selected.

Enter the following incoming mail server information:

Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server - Requires SSL

Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com

Port: 993

Requires SSL: Yes

Hostname is mail.yahoo.com.

Username is your full email address

Password is the same password used to access webmail.

Enter the following outgoing mail server information:

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - Requires SSL

Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Port: 465 or 587

Requires SSL: Yes

Requires authentication: Yes

Username is your full email address

Password is the same password used to access webmail. It may have been entered for you.

Tap Next.

The iPhone will establish an SSL connection to your IMAP and SMTP servers.

That’s all!

mail that is saved to a file cannot be opened. says its not downloaded from server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.