Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iWeb gone after Yosemite install

After installing Yosemite to my Desktop, I am no longer able to open iWeb. It is still showing in my applications folder and it will open in the sense that I can see all iWeb related functions on the tool bar, but it does not actually open the windows to show my content. I have all my iWeb content saved on my computer, but I can't do anything for my site if I can't get the application to open.

Mac OS X, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Dec 2, 2014 11:12 AM

12 replies

Dec 2, 2014 3:19 PM in response to Becky O

Make sure you're looking in the Home/Library/Application Support folder. By default it's invisible.

For Mavericks and Yosemite go to your Home folder and use the View ➙ Show View Options menu to bring up this window:

User uploaded file

Otherwise, yuou'll have to get the iWeb folder from your backup of the hard drive made just prior to upgrading to Yosemite.

User uploaded file

Dec 3, 2014 12:53 AM in response to Becky O

The other way to access this Library, is to click on Go rather than View at the top and then click the 'alt' key and this will show up your Home Library and then you go to Application Support/iWeb and you should find your domain.sites files there.

Also remember, that if you have upgraded to Yosemite, that you will not be able to open individual domain.sites files - only the first one that you click on will ever open.

To be able to open individual domain files, then you will need to do a search and download an application called Domain Cracker, which will allow you to open these individual domain files.

Even if you restore from a backup - which should just be as simple as plugging the backup drive in and dropping and dragging to your desktop, you will still need Domain Cracker to be able to open individual domain files.

Dec 3, 2014 9:43 AM in response to Becky O

To open your domain file in Lion, Mountain Lion or Mavericks or to switch between multiple domain files Cyclosaurus has provided us with the following script that you can make into an Applescript application with Script Editor. Open Script Editor, copy and paste the script below into Script Editor's window and save as an application.

do shell script"/usr/bin/defaults write com.apple.iWeb iWebDefaultsDocumentPath -boolean no"

delay 1

tell application "iWeb" to activate

You can download an already compiled version with this link: iWeb Switch Domain.

NOTE: Domain Cracker and iWeb Switch Domain are the same app. They both were created from the script above. You can either download the app from the switch above or create your own using Script Editor. If you download then it will be blocked by Apple's Gatekeeper so you'll have to approve it's opening.

Just launch the application, find and select the domain file in your Home/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder that you want to open and it will open with iWeb. It modifies the iWeb preference file each time it's launched so one can switch between domain files.

WARNING: iWeb Switch Domain will overwrite an existing Domain.sites2 file if you select to create a new domain in the same folder. So rename your domain files once they've been created to something other than the default name.

You need to be in your Home folder before you can see and use that checkbox. Your Home folder will have these folders in it:

User uploaded file

iWeb gone after Yosemite install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.