Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting items from External Harddrive

Hi

I have a 250GB external harddrive and used the carbon copy cloner program a few months ago to copy everything onto the harddrive. The program took ages to go through the process and crashed a couple of times so I gave up on it. The only problem is that my external HD now has folders on there which I don't really want - applications (OS 9) etc - all I really want on there are back up copies of my photo/music/documents libraries. I try and drag these folders to the trash can but it won't let me - giving me the error message about not being able to because of some root.

Can anyone suggest a way I can clear out these folders from my external HD? - I want to get it so it is as clear as possible to free up space and make it easier to navigate around

PB G4, Mac OS X (10.2.x)

Posted on Oct 1, 2006 4:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2006 6:25 AM

Hi Samir,

just reformat the drive: Open disk utility, select the external drive and Reformat or Erase it.

If this does not work either, log in as root and try again: Enabling and using the "root" user in Mac OS X

If this answered your question please consider granting some stars: Why reward points?
2 replies

Deleting items from External Harddrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.