Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some server contacts could not be copied to this address book.

An alert icon appears next to 'All iCloud' within the Contacts app. Once clicked, an alert notification appears on the screen that reads, "Some server contacts could not be copied to this address book." Neither the operating system, nor the web-based help communities provide a means of troubleshooting this problem. As a result of this problem it seems that my iCloud contacts are never in sync across my Apple devices (i.e. iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro), namely on my MacBook Pro, which is my primary device and should always provide the most complete data bank of contacts. Contacts on the web-based iCloud interface always matches what is on the iPhone and iPad but rarely the MacBook Pro. All devices are running the most current updates for the most recent operating system releases as of 12/02/2014.

To support community members viewing this post, please offer the best means of troubleshooting this problem without resulting in the deletion of contacts or information within contacts. I thank you all in advance for your time and attention.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Dec 2, 2014 12:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2017 6:28 PM

After searching /var/log/system.log, the only error associated with the Contacts app I can find reads:

DEPRECATED USE in libdispatch client: Changing the target of a source after it has been activated.

I can't find anything helpful online about what this means, or how to resolve.

37 replies

Feb 21, 2017 12:26 PM in response to chrisdon85

In my case also that trick do not helped because the mentioned log file do not have anything that says which contacts are bad.

I solved in another way.

Go to iCloud->Contacts->Select all->Export as vCard.

Do the same in Contacts app in macOS (as a backup). Delete all contacts in group iCloud.

Import iCloud vCard export to Contacts app. Otherwise do not delete and try to merge the import.

If contacts are from gmail do the same.

One year later the app do not have anymore the warning.

Hope it helps!

May 8, 2017 5:27 PM in response to karl3s

Wow... what a dog of an issue.

This worked... in a strange way... my MacBook is running OsX Sierra.

When I tried to save the export vCards, the file wouldn't open in iCloud. But, when I just told it to open the cards in Calendar, it did so... and got 484 out of 1611 contacts.

I then enabled iCloud and it imported 1610 of the contacts, but the 484 (now "On My Mac") contacts were duplicated. I had to then delete the On My Mac contacts but the iCloud contacts now seem to be syncing.

Also, reading this thread, the system.log no longer seems to log the vCard errors, so that very smart solution won't work.

Apple, did you say that MacOS and iOS are easy to use?? Not when they break!

Anyway, thanks @karl3s!

Jan 21, 2015 10:53 PM in response to Noleigator

I was having this issue with my Google Contacts and it was killing me! In my situation I was able to read the OS X logs to find out that one of my contacts was messed up. I ended up hand-copying the data into a new contact and deleted the original. The sync then worked perfectly!

I don't believe iCloud uses CardDAV so step 5 below will be up to you to figure out, but I'll give my best guess anyway:

To find out which contact is broken, follow these steps:

1) Open Contacts.app

2) Go into Preferences (keyboard shortcut: Cmd + , )

3) Find your iCloud account and uncheck and re-check "Enable this account"

4) Open /var/log/system.log in Vim/Emacs/etc or via Finder

5) Search for "Ignored vCard" or maybe even "ERROR" until you find data about the contact in question that is breaking your sync.

6) Copy the important data for that contact by hand into a new contact.

7) Delete the original, corrupt contact.

8) Close the text editor/log viewer.

9) Uncheck/re-check "Enable this account" in Contacts.app preferences.

10) If sync fails again with the same error, repeat from step 4 until you have no more issues.

Some server contacts could not be copied to this address book.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.