Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Super Slow Powerbook After Yosemite

My 2010 Powerbook boots up slower each time (up to 10-15 minutes sometimes), and is overall slowed down after upgrading to Yosemite a couple of weeks ago.

Tabs open slowly, I get the spin wheel a lot, have to wait for apps to open, etc. I've also started getting error messages about plug-ins not working or scripts not running.

So far I have:

repaired permissions

reset the SMC

uninstalled printers

no improvement

Someone here on the forums suggested to first look at third party software that might not be compatible with Yosemite. Then update the software that is compatible. For example it looks like many of your internet plugins might be "old"."

I don't know how to do this though. Can someone help?

Here is the full EntreCheck:

EtreCheck version: 2.0.11 (98)

Report generated December 2, 2014 at 12:46:42 PM PST

Hardware Information: ℹ️

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) (Verified)

MacBook Pro - model: MacBookPro7,1

1 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU: 2-core

4 GB RAM Upgradeable

BANK 0/DIMM0

2 GB DDR3 1067 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM0

2 GB DDR3 1067 MHz ok

Bluetooth: Old - Handoff/Airdrop2 not supported

Wireless: en1: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Video Information: ℹ️

NVIDIA GeForce 320M - VRAM: 256 MB

Color LCD 1280 x 800

System Software: ℹ️

OS X 10.10.1 (14B25) - Uptime: 2 days 15:1:25

Disk Information: ℹ️

Hitachi HTS545025B9SA02 disk0 : (250.06 GB)

S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

Macintosh HD (disk0s2) / [Startup]: 249.20 GB (123.00 GB free)

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted> [Recovery]: 650 MB

MATSHITADVD-R UJ-898

USB Information: ℹ️

Apple Internal Memory Card Reader

Apple Inc. Built-in iSight

Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad

Apple Inc. BRCM2046 Hub

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Apple Computer, Inc. IR Receiver

Gatekeeper: ℹ️

Mac App Store and identified developers

Startup Items: ℹ️

Qmaster: Path: /Library/StartupItems/Qmaster

Startup items are obsolete and will not work in future versions of OS X

Problem System Launch Agents: ℹ️

[loaded] com.paragon.ExtFS.trial.plist Support

Problem System Launch Daemons: ℹ️

[failed] com.apple.security.syspolicy.plist

Launch Agents: ℹ️

[loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist Support

Launch Daemons: ℹ️

[loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist Support

[loaded] com.adobe.versioncueCS3.plist Support

[loaded] com.google.keystone.daemon.plist Support

User Launch Agents: ℹ️

[loaded] com.adobe.ARM.[...].plist Support

[running] com.nchsoftware.expressaccounts.agent.plist Support

User Login Items: ℹ️

None

Internet Plug-ins: ℹ️

o1dbrowserplugin: Version: 5.38.6.0 - SDK 10.8 Support

Google Earth Web Plug-in: Version: 7.1 Support

Default Browser: Version: 600 - SDK 10.10

Flip4Mac WMV Plugin: Version: 2.3.5.4 Support

AmazonMP3DownloaderPlugin101750: Version: AmazonMP3DownloaderPlugin 1.0.17 - SDK 10.4 Support

RealPlayer Plugin: Version: Unknown

AdobePDFViewerNPAPI: Version: 10.1.12 Support

FlashPlayer-10.6: Version: 15.0.0.239 - SDK 10.6 Support

OMNLauncher: Version: 1.0 Support

Silverlight: Version: 5.1.30514.0 - SDK 10.6 Support

Flash Player: Version: 15.0.0.239 - SDK 10.6 Support

iPhotoPhotocast: Version: 7.0 - SDK 10.7

googletalkbrowserplugin: Version: 5.38.6.0 - SDK 10.8 Support

OMNPublisher: Version: (null) Support

AdobePDFViewer: Version: 10.1.12 Support

KClientPlugin: Version: (null) Support

QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.7.3

DirectorShockwave: Version: 11.6.6r636 Support

User Internet Plug-ins: ℹ️

CitrixOnlineWebDeploymentPlugin: Version: 1.0.105 Support

Audio Plug-ins: ℹ️

DVCPROHDAudio: Version: 1.2

3rd Party Preference Panes: ℹ️

Adobe Version Cue CS3 Support

Flash Player Support

Flip4Mac WMV Support

MacFUSE Support

Time Machine: ℹ️

Skip System Files: NO

Auto backup: YES

Volumes being backed up:

Macintosh HD: Disk size: 249.20 GB Disk used: 126.20 GB

Destinations:

Time Machine Backups [Local]

Total size: 0 B

Total number of backups: 8

Oldest backup: 2013-01-23 04:49:46 +0000

Last backup: 2014-11-19 00:08:06 +0000

Size of backup disk: Too small

Backup size 0 B < (Disk used 126.20 GB X 3)

Top Processes by CPU: ℹ️

61% firefox

3% WindowServer

3% launchd

0% AppleSpell

0% fontd

Top Processes by Memory: ℹ️

876 MB firefox

206 MB Skype

146 MB softwareupdated

82 MB Finder

52 MB WindowServer

Virtual Memory Information: ℹ️

518 MB Free RAM

1.56 GB Active RAM

1.18 GB Inactive RAM

601 MB Wired RAM

7.37 GB Page-ins

250 MB Page-outs

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 2, 2014 12:52 PM

32 replies

Dec 2, 2014 12:58 PM in response to blind dancer

Quit Firefox. It's hogging the CPU and may not be running properly.

Try these in order testing your system after each to see if it's back to normal:

1. a. Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

b. Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

2. Restart the computer in Safe Mode, then restart again, normally. If this doesn't help, then:

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the Utilities menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

3. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the main menu. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

4. Reinstall Yosemite: Reboot from the Recovery HD. Select Reinstall OS X from the Utilities menu, and click on the Continue button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

5. Reinstall Yosemite from Scratch:

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

How to Clean Install OS X Yosemite

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

Dec 22, 2014 9:11 AM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy,

Thank you so much for this. I followed all steps, reinstalled Yosemite. The first few days everything worked great, although boot-up remained pretty slow. In the last couple of days, again, I get the beachball a lot, slow transition between tabs, tabs slow to load, very slow boot up. Hmmm. Is there anything left I can try?

It seems like something slows it down, although it's not consistent.

Here is the current Entrecheck.

EtreCheck version: 2.1.5 (108)

Report generated December 22, 2014 at 9:04:45 AM PST

Click the [Support] links for help with non-Apple products.

Click the [Details] links for more information about that line.

Click the [Adware] links for help removing adware.

Hardware Information: ℹ️

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) (Verified)

MacBook Pro - model: MacBookPro7,1

1 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU: 2-core

4 GB RAM Upgradeable

BANK 0/DIMM0

2 GB DDR3 1067 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM0

2 GB DDR3 1067 MHz ok

Bluetooth: Old - Handoff/Airdrop2 not supported

Wireless: en1: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Video Information: ℹ️

NVIDIA GeForce 320M - VRAM: 256 MB

Color LCD 1280 x 800

System Software: ℹ️

OS X 10.10.1 (14B25) - Uptime: 0:14:14

Disk Information: ℹ️

Hitachi HTS545025B9SA02 disk0 : (250.06 GB)

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

Macintosh HD (disk0s2) / : 249.20 GB (235.55 GB free)

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted> [Recovery]: 650 MB

MATSHITADVD-R UJ-898

USB Information: ℹ️

Apple Inc. Built-in iSight

Apple Internal Memory Card Reader

Apple Inc. BRCM2046 Hub

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad

Apple Computer, Inc. IR Receiver

Gatekeeper: ℹ️

Mac App Store and identified developers

Launch Daemons: ℹ️

[loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist [Support]

User Login Items: ℹ️

iTunesHelper Application (/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunesHelper.app)

Internet Plug-ins: ℹ️

Silverlight: Version: 5.1.30514.0 - SDK 10.6 [Support]

FlashPlayer-10.6: Version: 16.0.0.235 - SDK 10.6 [Support]

Flash Player: Version: 16.0.0.235 - SDK 10.6 [Support]

QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.7.3

Default Browser: Version: 600 - SDK 10.10

3rd Party Preference Panes: ℹ️

Flash Player [Support]

Time Machine: ℹ️

Time Machine not configured!

Top Processes by CPU: ℹ️

20% WindowServer

8% Skype

3% Safari

3% hidd

2% com.apple.WebKit.WebContent

Top Processes by Memory: ℹ️

155 MB com.apple.WebKit.WebContent

137 MB Skype

64 MB Safari

43 MB WindowServer

39 MB mds_stores

Virtual Memory Information: ℹ️

1.83 GB Free RAM

1.26 GB Active RAM

387 MB Inactive RAM

542 MB Wired RAM

950 MB Page-ins

0 B Page-outs

Diagnostics Information: ℹ️

Dec 22, 2014, 08:51:07 AM Self test - passed

Dec 22, 2014 10:14 AM in response to blind dancer

The snapshot doesn't help much as nothing in particular stands out. I suggest you open Activity Monitor in your Utilities folder. Under the View menu set the Processes to All Processes. In the display window click on the Memory tab at the top. From the View menu under Columns be sure to check Real Mem. Click on the Real Mem column header in the display once or twice to arrange in descending order.

Now move AM out of the way and continue using the computer. When you notice things really bogging down check what is using a lot of memory - much more than normal. This may help identify something that's either hogging memory at the moment or has a memory leak that keeps accumulating until your free RAM is down to nearly nothing.

Here's a partial snapshot of mine at this moment. I've clipped off the last column with my name in it:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Obviously, yours and mine will be different, but it gives you an idea of what to keep your eye on. Now, on the off chance it isn't a memory related slowdown you should also keep an eye out on the CPU% time usage. From the View menu you can add the CPU% column to the above display and move the column next to the Real Mem column. Again, when things seem to bog down you can click onto the CPU% column once or twice to arrange in descending order and see what process is using the most CPU time. Very high numbers of 50% and more can indicate a bad or crashed process. The latter usually get marked in red.

Keeping an eye out may help you determine if this is just happening because of what you are doing or because of some other problem. If the former then it means you need more RAM sometimes. So you should put more in the machine to avoid such future slowdowns.

Dec 30, 2014 1:04 PM in response to Kappy

I do still experience moments of everything working OK, then often after I open the laptop after sleep mode, or after using for w while after restart, it gets slow, or extremely slow, scripts and pages become irresponsive and crush, tabs take long to load...Also bootup takes forever.

Here are a couple of screenshots of the Activity Monitor. I see that there are things that are not looking well, but have no idea how to go about fixing them. First one after waking from sleep, second one after restart. Could you suggest what to do?User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Dec 30, 2014 1:34 PM in response to blind dancer

All that stands out is in the top picture. The item in red. If that occurs often there is a problem. When you see it you should select it then click on the Quit button in the toolbar then click on Force Quit. See if it disappears. If it reappears but in black, then it's OK for now.

The upper shot shows you are running Chrome and have quite a few tabs open, I think, because of the repeated items, Google Chrome Helper. I suggest you stop using Chrome and use Safari instead. If you have any anti-malware software running, then you should uninstall it using the uninstaller that came with the software.

Dec 30, 2014 1:40 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy, I appreciate you helping with this.

Isn't the fact that some kernel task takes a 1 GB of real memory? What are kernel tasks anyway?

And yes, I will try your suggestions. Since I clean installed Yosemite, I don't believe I have any malware software I've installed myself.

I prefer Chrome to Safari, wondering why it's not working properly....

Dec 30, 2014 2:13 PM in response to blind dancer

Chrome consistently misbehaves with OS X. As for the kernel_task it contains all the kernel subroutines required by whatever software is running that needs them. It provides the low-level connections between devices and OS X such as printers, disk drives, monitors, etc. Only in the upper image do I see 1 GB showing, but there are no column headers so I don't know what that is. The only number of interest is "real mem." Mine uses 1.06 GBs right at this minute.

Jan 2, 2015 9:35 AM in response to Kappy

It seems that on a pretty regular basis, the Activity monitor shows that something is not responding: Safari, Skype, different plug-ins, etc. A the moment I have apple.com.geod not responding, but as I said, the irresponsive scripts vary.

I wonder what causes that, Since I reinstalled Yosemite recently, I assume this is not a permissions issue... Any other suggestions?

Jan 2, 2015 10:27 AM in response to blind dancer

This is possibly an incompatibility problem or the result of a malfunctioning upgrade to Yosemite. Try reinstalling it:

Reinstalling OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the main menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

Also see:

Reinstall OS X Without Erasing the Drive

OS X Yosemite- Reinstall OS X

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet

if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

Super Slow Powerbook After Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.