Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost my wifi hardware connection after installing Yosemite.

After installation of Yosemite, I seemed to have damaged my airport wifi connection. The icon shows Wifi: No Hardware installed. I assume my wifi card is damaged. I checked out to see how much fixing it would cost and we're looking at $200 +. My solution was to purchased a USB Wifi adapter. I found plenty that work with lower OS. But none that would work with 10.10.1. Does anyone know of an adapter that would work?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Wifi Network Card

Posted on Dec 2, 2014 1:17 PM

4 replies

Dec 2, 2014 3:37 PM in response to Morpheus0528

Installing the OS is very unlikely to have damaged your wireless..

Software and particularly a buggy as !heaven one like Yosemite has simply failed to load the driver.

Go into system information and check if the card is there. I would be hugely surprised if it isn't.

User uploaded file

You can also run hardware test by booting to recovery.

See Using Apple Hardware Test - Apple Support

However to get it running I am not so sure..

Do you really need to do a clean install of the OS..

so you will need to read up on that. If there are other ways to get the card going again.

Dec 3, 2014 2:06 PM in response to Morpheus0528

Let me suggest if you have any applecare ring Apple.. this is not an uncommon issue.

Please see this very long thread.. alot of people are killing their wireless. Especially in older laptops.

Re: OSX Yosemite Wifi issues

There is a bunch of suggestions.. none are silver bullet .. but some have got it fixed.

Here are the most prevalent solutions available: From Nicknish

1. Creating a New Wi-Fi Service (this solution worked for me!)
    • Copy and paste these instructions, because you'll be disconnected from the Internet and you'll need to reboot.
    • Go into your Network Preferences > Select Wi-Fi Service (in the list in the left column) > Click on the options (cog icon) > Select "Make Service Inactive" > Select Apply.
    • Select the same Wi-Fi Service > Delete It ( – ). Reboot.
    • Return to Network Preferences > Create a New Service ( + ).
    • Inside the prompt select Wi-Fi under Interface, name the Service Name something other than Wi-Fi. (I named mine Wi-Fi2. Apparently if you retain the previous Wi-Fi name the WiFi dropping will return on reboot.) > Click Create.
    • Click Apply.
  2. Delete and Reconnect to your Preferred Network

Go into your Network Preferences > Advanced > Select Your WiFi Network and Delete It ( – ). Reconnect to it.

3. Delete Bluetooth.plist

Finder > Go (on your toolbar) > Computer > HD > Library > Preferences > Delete your Bluetooth.plist. Reboot.

4. Delete SystemConfiguration

Finder > Go (on your toolbar) > Computer > HD > Library > Preferences > Delete your SystemConfiguration. Reboot.

5. Reset PRAM
  6. Reset your PRAM (Haven't tried it myself so I don't feel right instructing others how to do it, sorry!).

Lost my wifi hardware connection after installing Yosemite.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.