Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 6 Plus dropped in the toilet?

I had just finished sending a text message and I put my iPhone in the pocket of my sweater. I reached over to flush the toilet and my phone fell out of my pocket and into the toilet, it was in the water for about 2 seconds. I took it out and started drying it. I got home about 5 minutes later and immediately submerged the phone into a bowl of rice. Does the rice method really work on iPhones? Specifically the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus? and if so how long should I leave it in there? In addition where is the water indicator located on the phone? Thank you Apple community!

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1.1

Posted on Dec 2, 2014 7:17 PM

23 replies

Feb 19, 2017 12:50 PM in response to bryschwarz

I got a tiny drop of water in my phone today and was devastated to see that it went into HEADPHONE mode. The rice method didn't work for me. I immediately took to the forums and ran across your suggestion with the air duster. This was a GENIUS idea!! I took an AIR DUSTER can and began to spray a few inches into the headphone port for 30 seconds and voila!! I even sprayed my charging port "just in case" I ran into an issue there. Thanks for your post!

Feb 20, 2017 12:07 PM in response to Kokofemme

Don't be surprised if you have problems later on. First off, the rice method takes 5-7 days, not just a few minutes. You say this just happened today, so you would not have left it in rice long enough. Secondly, using a can of air to blow into the port will just force the water further into the phone where you cannot dry it out, and can cause corrosion of the internal components. Make sure you continue to backup the device regularly, in case it fails you.

Feb 23, 2017 5:22 PM in response to beckyl1060

People need to just stop using their phones in the john. Why does anybody do that in the first place? Seriously! I have never understood the behavior where one needs to have their cell phone in hand and use when doing their business at the toilet. Are people truly that enslaved to their devices that they cannot simply ignore their existence for 5 minutes?

We get, what, at least one of these threads a week? It's ridiculous.

Sep 16, 2017 4:49 PM in response to beckylk1234

There is no safety feature that you are speaking of. If you have had it in rice for a few days, then charged it and attempted to turn it on and it won't, then the water has ruined the device. Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of the nearest Apple Store and you can see about purchasing an out of warranty replacement. They are significantly cheaper than a new phone, but water damage is not covered under warranty.

Oct 30, 2017 1:17 PM in response to kaeely_15

kaeely_15 wrote:

My iPhone 6 plus fell on the toilet on Sunday and I took it out right away and put it on rice for the whole night and the next day I checked it and didn't turn on and then I put it on the charger to see if it turns on and nope nothing happen can someone tell me what other thing can I do ???? I really need my iPhone 6 plus 😭..

You can get it replaced. There is no magical fix for an electronic device which is damaged from shorts and corrosion after exposure to water. The only fix is to get a new device.

Jan 8, 2015 12:54 PM in response to Hernandez95

This morning I had just dropped my brand new iphone 6 plus in the toilet and I pulled it out quickly, ran got a towel an banged it on there, then hurried into the kitchen poured out rice in a bag and shut my iphone down an left in there for about 20-30 minutes. Turned it back on because I had to leave for work and everything seemed fine besides it kept saying my iphone headphones were in. So i read somewhere to get those air dusters and air it out a little bit in the headphone jack, I bought some and an hr later got back home. I actually shoved a tissue up there and it was moist so I blew the air thing in the jack 2-3 times, put tissue up there then taped that and sat it in rice for about 2-3 hrs. Had to leave again so I turned it back on and YAY, headphone jack was gone, everything seems to be working perfectly fine now. But I was only gone for about an hr and when I returned home I air dusted every hole in the phone, put tissue in the jac, taped it and put it in air tight rice bag, its been in there about about 4 hours now.... want to be safe rather than sorry! Wanted to put the hack of the air duster out there because I honestly thought my phone was gone, even if it was in submerged in water for 2-3 seconds!

Jan 8, 2015 2:40 PM in response to bryschwarz

You need to leave it off and in the dry rice for about 5-7 days, not 20-30 minutes. And even then, you may run into issues in the future.

If you don't have the AppleCare+ program (which costs only $99 USD + tax for two years), then you may end up having to pay $329 USD + tax for an out-of-warranty replacement. If you have the AppleCare+, then it's usually only a $79 USD + tax deductible for damage, even liquid damage.

Jan 8, 2015 11:48 PM in response to Hernandez95

The liquid indicator are internal and can only be accessed by opening the phone itself. The rice technique works on occasion, but is by no means a reliable fix. Once the components are wet, corrosion will start to take place, eventually rendering the phone useless. Did you purchase the phone within the past 60 days? If so, take it to the closest Apple Store and see if they will allow you to add AppleCare+. This will be a much cheaper option and will give you additional coverage for physical damage. Best of luck!

Jan 9, 2015 5:44 AM in response to sfdorton

sfdorton wrote:

The liquid indicator are internal and can only be accessed by opening the phone itself. The rice technique works on occasion, but is by no means a reliable fix. Once the components are wet, corrosion will start to take place, eventually rendering the phone useless. Did you purchase the phone within the past 60 days? If so, take it to the closest Apple Store and see if they will allow you to add AppleCare+. This will be a much cheaper option and will give you additional coverage for physical damage. Best of luck!

Apple Care is like an insurance policy and when not purchased with the phone requires proof of purchase and an inspection and/or a diagnostic test. I highly doubt Apple will let the user purchase insurance after the phone has been damaged.

Apr 12, 2015 7:48 AM in response to Hernandez95

I also dropped my iPhone 6 into the toilet, and even peed on it a little before fishing it out, which took about 1.5 seconds. I immediately turned it off and hugged it with blankets and a nearby teddy bear. Then, I diligently put it in rice for 24 hours, but I was in Miami and all I could find was flavored rice from CVS, so now the phone smells like chicken stock but thankfully it works completely. iPhone 6s can swim, briefly.

My iPhone 6 Plus dropped in the toilet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.