Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Sim after unlocking iphone 5, even though a new sim is inserted

Iphone 5- IOS 7.0.3

Unlocked with AT&T but still unable to activate a new sim. I am really frustrated by this.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.6, lost all back up data

Posted on Dec 2, 2014 10:27 PM

29 replies

Feb 10, 2017 8:43 AM in response to Muthu_Apple

I have the same problem. I purchased a Verizon unlocked iPhone SE from Target and without activating with a Verizon sim card in US I shipped the phone to Turkey. Now my sister is getting the same notification on her phone and iTunes. The problem is the cell phone needs to be activated with a Verizon Sim card in a Verizon network. Then you can use any other carrier`s sim card no matter what country you are in. Now Apple support and Verizon technical support are telling me have them ship the phone back to US activate it in US then send it back to Turkey. Come on guys it is 2017 and there should be an easier way to do this. So frustrating...

Dec 2, 2014 11:28 PM in response to teknikks

Thanks Teknikks.

I had got this phone service terminated from AT&T. I got the steps to unlock the phone, which i did as per the instructions shared by AT&T. These are the steps shared:

Please allow 24 hours upon receipt of this notification to complete the unlock process.

1. Open iTunes on your Mac or PC and verify that you have Internet connectivity.

2. Ensure the original SIM card that came with this device is inserted in your iPhone.

3. Connect your iPhone using the dock connector to USB cable that came with your iPhone.

4. Backup and restore your iPhone using iTunes. For information on backup and restore, please visithttp://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414.

5. After restoring, your iPhone will be unlocked.

Additional information on unlocking can be found at http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3198

For questions regarding AT&T Mobile device, please visit the Phone/Device Learning Center.

Thank you for your business. For other questions about our AT&T wireless service or other Mobile devices, please visitatt.com.

I didn't receive any message saying congratulations!!.

Now when i connect back to iTunes, I asked to enter the valid sim to activate. Its same on the phone as well.

Thanks,

Mutturaj

Dec 3, 2014 12:52 AM in response to teknikks

I have cancelled the service by paying the cancellation charges. Its been 2 months that i got it unlocked. I am sure it was unlocked. This was verified from Apple customer care. Yes i am putting the old sim card when i connect to iTunes. Actually i got this phone to India. The old AT&T sim is inactive.

I am unable to set up the phone. It doesn't let me go through the country language settings on the phone.

Dec 3, 2014 1:12 AM in response to Muthu_Apple

There should be an unlocked message in iTunes after you restore the phone. If you can't restore from your backup, you may need to restore as new iPhone. You do this with the old inactive sim first. If there is no unlocked message in iTunes after restoring, it might not be unlocked.

If you have a new active sim from another carrier that is not working, it is either not compatible or the phone is still locked to the old carrier.

No Sim after unlocking iphone 5, even though a new sim is inserted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.