Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple TV can see my iTunes library, but can't connect to it

My Apple TV stopped connecting to my iTunes library last week. I do not know why. However, my Apple TV connects to all networks services just fine, including apps like Netflix & Crunchyroll with no troubles streaming movies. I've tested the WiFi network. I've rebooted. I've made sure the software was updated. I've logged out of iCloud on both computers, shut off Home Sharing, rebooted, sacrificed a chicken to the binary gods, rebooted, logged everything back in, and still no luck. Everything is as it should be, except the Apple TV won't connect to my iTunes library. This happened on Nov 26-27. It worked just fine before then.

My Mac mini (running Yosemite) can mirror using Airplay Display onto the Apple TV. This means the Apple TV and my Mac can see each other on the network.

My daughter's iPad connects to my Mac mini's iTunes library just fine, so it seems that iTunes Home Sharing is working. And when I change my iTunes library name, the Apple TV lets me know it can see the library by a error message using the new library name. There's just no handshaking going on between the two.

Can anyone think of what could cause the Apple TV to work fine one week, see all network services—even DAAP—then suddenly not be able to connect to the library?

Also: PLEASE READ MY FULL POST BEFORE FAQING ME. Please don't just post the Apple Home Sharing troubleshooting link and think you're helping. And please don't thank me for using the Apple Support Community then recommend I contact Apple for support. All other responses are very welcome.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), My macs work via brain waves…

Posted on Dec 3, 2014 1:15 AM

63 replies

Dec 3, 2014 2:18 PM in response to R C-R

I specified in the 2nd paragraph that I can mirror my display to the Apple TV. However, thanks for your question. It led me to try playing a video in iTunes and sharing it via AirPlay to my Apple TV. This works, but as I stated before the only thing the Apple TV can't do is access my iTunes library as of last Wednesday for some reason.

So in summary, AirPlay works fine to the Apple TV. Internet apps work fine on my Apple TV. The issue seems to be with Home Sharing or my Apple TV's sudden inability to access my iTunes library.

Any other suggestions? Keep 'em coming! 😉

Dec 3, 2014 4:23 PM in response to The Laughing Imp

I asked what happens when you use the Air Play icon on the iTunes toolbar because it works a little differently from mirroring or extending the desktop from the Yosemite Airplay icon choices in the OS X menu bar, as well as when you access the iTunes library from the ATV (or try to).

I was hoping a description of what you saw happen on the screen of your Mac might provide a clue -- saying "this works" doesn't tell us much about that -- but the fact that it does leads me to suggest the "nuclear" option of restoring the ATV, which can be quite a chore because you would have start the ATV setup all over again, including reregistering any channels that require that.

But before doing that, if it was me I would double check to make sure all the iTunes preferences are still set as expected, including the Sharing Preferences that allow you to choose what part(s) of the library to share over the local network, & toggling off & back on Home Sharing on both the Mini & ATV. I would also double check to make sure the ATV & Mini are still on the same local network, & anything else I could think of that might somehow have gotten changed over the last few days.

Dec 5, 2014 12:30 AM in response to R C-R

I have the same problem. It just started today.

Went to watch another TV episode downloaded from itunes, and my Mini library can't be seen by my Apple TV.

If I use the Screen icon on the itunes toolbar I can push the video to the Apple TV, no problem.

I can also screen mirror no problem

But when I go to use home sharing to load the library from the mini - it says "could not connect to Mini". Check they are on the same network.

I have rebooted everything.

Turned sharing off on the mini, and on the Apple TV.

Not sure what do do next.

EDIT: note a second reboot and it came back again.

Is it just me or has home sharing got flakey with the latest release of osx?

Dec 5, 2014 3:23 AM in response to bcpstarsky

bcpstarsky wrote:

Personally, I don't think it is directly related to the version of OS X. I think it is something in the Apple TV OS that causes it either to fail to find the shared library on the Mac or the network it is on. That might explain why rebooting the ATV or in some cases restoring it often fixes this problem.

I have not seen this particular problem but I have seen one that might be related: sometimes my ATV 3 tries to connect to a MacBook I use as a dedicated iTunes server but the 'connecting' spinner on the ATV just keeps going round & round & it doesn't connect. I don't get an error message & the fix is to back out to the main ATV menu, wait a few seconds, & try again. Since the MacBook is an older one running Snow Leopard, it doesn't seem to have anything to do Yosemite: I run that OS X version on my iMac & the ATV does not have any problems connecting to it.

Dec 7, 2014 4:01 PM in response to The Laughing Imp

Well, I am fairly frustrated at this point. Unlike bcpstarsky, I don't get any love with a reboot. I've rebooted a dozen or more times (because sometimes trying to select the "computer" app in the Apple TV causes the Apple TV to crash & reboot.

As I've stated so colorfully in my first post, I have shut home sharing off & on (both Apple TV & Mac mini), turned off iTunes library network sharing in the prefs, turned off & on Home Sharing from the iTunes menu, I've relaunched iTunes, and rebooted my Mac (multiple times). Both devices are on the same network. The Apple TV can access all network features EXCEPT my iTunes library. The Mac can use AirPlay to push media to the AppleTV. Most oddly, the Apple TV can see the name of my iTunes library–EVEN IF I CHANGE THE NAME–but cannot connect to it. I have not changed any settings on my iTunes library. I watched tv shows over the network with my Apple TV Wednesday night, went away for Thanksgiving the next day, then couldn't access the iTunes library on Friday.

User uploaded file

To answer the annoying error screen: ✔ ✔ ✔

As a last resort, I reset the Apple TV to factory defaults. That did not fix the problem. Looking for suggestions.

Dec 7, 2014 8:42 PM in response to The Laughing Imp

I have the exact issue and haven't been able to get it to connect no matter what... AirPlay works fine. Other computers on the network can see my shared library and play from it (though I suppose that's the sharing setting within iTunes preferences).

Some other things about my library is that it is quite large and on an external USB drive (40K songs all apple lossless, many 24bit/48kHz and about 400 movies and tv shows) . I just used migration assistant to come over from another mac mini that was working/sharing fine with yosemite. This new one has 802.11ac. Maybe I'm grasping at straws.

Laughing Imp, do you have a larger library or is it on an external drive? If it's on an external, did you ever access the same library you're using now from another computer? Can you think of any other specifics that you may not have in common with others? Just trying to find other similarities in our situations.

-Jeff

edit: just thought maybe rebuilding the iTunes Library might be of help but I'm not ready to go that far unless there's a "simple" rebuild. To test I'm going to make a new small library and see what happens.

edit2: same issue with a brand new library on the hard drive...

Dec 9, 2014 5:02 PM in response to jfinch420

Exact same thing has happened to me, and I have tried everything known to man,

I get exact same message, have created differnt accounts absolutely nothing.

Think it is definietly something to do with the yosemite updates, so will need to wait for the next patch I guess 10.10.2

If that doesnt work then I will be at a loss.

Dec 10, 2014 2:11 PM in response to Davnkaz

Hello Davnkaz,

Re: My Apple TV can see my iTunes library, but can't connect to it

Before IOS 8, I had pretty reliable use of my ATV, a few issues now and then but they got worked out, but since IOS 8.1.O and 8.1.1. , it's been a Total crap shoot. I actually Lost any use of my ATV for over 2 weeks since 8.1.1. I have done Everything mentioned in this thread, ATV Troubleshooting, checking on the ATV Support site and that includes doing the entire ATV set-up Again. I have a dedicated wi-fi network for just my ATV, which I can see via the menu that I am Connected with 5 dots! I am current on all Mac software, running OS 10.10.1 and recently had no issues for almost a week then BAMM, it's like I am back to square one Again. This is just so frustrating, it's unbelievable. And, my ATV can see my iMac because it will stream the photos I have selected to be shown on the ATV. I can see my Purchased stuff, TV Shows, Movies, but my ATV can't connect to my iTunes Library. I keep getting the same message: "Turn on Home Sharing." Been there, done that so many times, I have lost count. Everything off, reboot, restart, on and on. I also agree with the poster

bcpstarsky wrote:

I have written Several times (via provide iTunes Feedback) to Apple re these issues and so far, nothing has changed. What Has changed is that my 3rd gen ATV has become unreliable, finicky and it's a shot the dark now every time I try to use it. This is Unacceptable.

I think Apple should do Better than this. Too many posters have variations of the same issue and it's not being addressed. IMO.

Dec 10, 2014 10:01 PM in response to jfinch420

Thanks for running that test on the brand new library, jfinch420. I can add that Home Sharing seems to be otherwise working. Yesterday, as a test I shut off Home Sharing and rebooted the AppleTV and my iPhone Remote app stopped working. I reenabled Home Sharing and the app began working again. The Remote App requires Home Sharing to work. This would seem to indicate that Home Sharing on my AppleTV seems to be working. So the problem for me is very specifically that all network services work on my AppleTV except the ability to access my iTunes library.

I'm trying to think of what variables changed. iTunes was updated to v12.0.1.26 on October 16th, and there was an AppleTV update on November 17th, but my 2nd gen AppleTV is still running 6.2.1. There is no later OS for it. I was using my AppleTV to stream media from my iTunes library on the 26th. For the life of me I cannot identify what changed while I was away over the holiday. By November 28th, my AppleTV could no longer connect to my iTunes library.

In addition, my AppleTV frequently crashes and reboots when accessing preferences from time to time. It's likely related. In fact, last week I changed my library name to see if the AppleTV would notice. I did it again a moment ago and my AppleTV crashed every time I selected "Computers". I rebooted iTunes and the AppleTV and that fixed the crashing problem. I don't know what it means, but I'm throwing it out there for what it's worth.

I will check the following things next:

1) Connect iTunes & AppleTV via ethernet to rule out WiFi router issues.

2) Use a different iCloud account to enable Home Sharing.

3) Wait for the weekend when my friend can use his iCloud info to test home sharing between his laptop and my AppleTV.

4) Call Apple. Maybe there is a component on the AppleTV motherboard that has gone bad causing the problems.

BTW, I have an enormous library, too, but your test ruled out library size as an issue.

Dec 11, 2014 7:24 PM in response to The Laughing Imp

Couple comments on your most recent post and some more info Laughing Imp

My ATV has also been restarting, losing my login to netflix so I have to re-type it (this has happened over the last 2 nights and I wasn't watching closely so I'll be taking a harder look overnight tonight.)

I am all wired, even turned off wifi on the computer to force it to go through the wire if that was an issue.

I have a second computer, my fiance's, and she has a different account. It's on an older iMac, still running Mavericks and an older version of iTunes.

I doubt it's a hardware problem - there are a "lot" of others with this same issue

EDIT: So, the older computer under a different account works fine! The older comp is a 2GHz Core2Duo iMac running Mavericks 10.9.5 and iTunes 11.4 and is under a different Sharing login. I think it's the newest version of iTunes/Yosemite that is causing the problem. Hoping for some kind of update.

Dec 12, 2014 10:45 PM in response to Rudegar

Thank you, but I doubt it's a router/port issue, especially since the router and Apple TV worked fine up until Thanksgiving. However, since I've got nothing better to do right now…

Yeah, no difference. Port forwarding is mostly to provide external access to your WAN/LAN anyway. My router's firewall has never been on.

You're thinking too generally. Try thinking of things that might account for why something that worked one day suddenly stopped the next.

Dec 15, 2014 12:16 AM in response to The Laughing Imp

I have the same problem. My Apple TV can hit the internet and it can determine the name of my library (verified by changing the name) but claims that it can't connect to it. I get the same screen that The Laughing Imp post above.

I'm running iTunes on a Windows 7 laptop. The library is hosted on a Linux server which the iTunes laptop accesses via a mapped drive (X:). All components (laptop, server, Apple TV) are connected via gigabit ethernet. The server has a non-conflicting static IP address. The laptop and Apple TV obtain IPs via the same DHCP server (my DSL router). All devices are on the same subnet and I can ping the Apple TV from the laptop hosting iTunes. I'm running the latest version of iTunes and the latest update for Apple TV. I've tried both restoring and resetting the Apple TV device. I've turned home sharing on and off, I've verified the iTunes preferences and I've rebooted all components and network devices many times. This physical configuration has worked for me for many years. My iTunes account information in Apple TV is correct (I had to re-enter the details after resetting the device, and then go online to enter an activation code.)

So I don't think it's a Mac OS issue since I'm running iTunes on Windows 7. It could be an iTunes/AppleTV software issue but for me the system has worked since the November iTunes update. There was no software update for either component that coincides with the problem.

Dec 16, 2014 6:54 PM in response to orionsafari

For what its worth, I'm having the exact same issues since some time in December. It sees my OS X Yosemite iTunes library, but won't connect to it. I've also tried everything in this thread. Oddly, it sees, and connects, to a different mac I have on my network, also running Yosemite. I'm beyond frustrated, as I think you guys are, too. Grrrr.

My Apple TV can see my iTunes library, but can't connect to it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.