Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keyboard/trackpad stop working after sleep mode

After a few hours of uptime, certain keys on my keyboard stop working and I have to reboot: both command keys and the zero key. Sometimes, after the computer has been in sleep a long time, the keyboard and mouse don't respond at all. I can get the computer to wake up again by pressing the power key, but the mouse and keyboard don't respond, so I can't do anything except hard boot. This problem first appeared after the update to 10.10.1. (I'm dealing with it right now, so I'm getting the '0' through the keyboard viewer, but there's no way to access that from the password screen.)

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2008), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 3, 2014 5:01 AM

5 replies

Dec 4, 2014 8:51 AM in response to ant1matter

Hi ant1matter,

Welcome to the Support Communities! What computer are you working with? I'm assuming a Mac notebook from the thread title.

The resources below may provide some troubleshooting steps for the responsiveness issues you are having with the mouse and keyboard.

Troubleshooting wireless mouse and keyboard issues - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/ts3048

This article is about sleep/wake issues in general, but the troubleshooting steps would still apply for your keyboard/mouse:

OS X: When your Mac doesn't sleep or wake - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/TS5357

Reset SMC

The System Management Controller (SMC) is involved in managing power on your computer. Reset the SMC on your Mac if you are having difficulty sleeping or waking your computer.

Reset NVRAM/PRAM

Nonvolatile RAM (NVRAM)/Parameter RAM (PRAM) stores some power-related settings.Try resetting NVRAM/PRAM if you are having difficulty sleeping or waking your computer.

Test with external devices disconnected

Some external devices can prevent your computer from sleeping. Try disconnecting items other than your Apple keyboard or mouse from the built-in USB, Thunderbolt and Firewire ports on your Mac. If this resolves the issue, try reconnecting your external devices one at a time until you find the device preventing sleep or wake. Check the documentation that came with the device, or contact the device manufacturer for more information.

Try Safe Mode

Check to see if the issue still occurs when the computer is started in Safe Mode. If this resolves the issue, it could be related to a third party software item such as:

Try another user account

Try creating another user account, or log in as guest. See if your computer sleeps and wakes properly from the additional user account. If it does, your issue may be related to one of the following:

You can disable login items from the Accounts pane of System Preferences. Try opening only one app at a time in the original user account to determine which app is preventing sleep. If you isolate the issue to a particular app or login item, check its documentation, or contact the developer of that software for more information.

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

Dec 4, 2014 12:12 PM in response to judysings

The computer I use is the one mentioned at the bottom: a 15-inch 2008 Pre-Unibody MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. Moreover, the information you sent me has not helped. The same thing happens in a guest account: after several hours of uptime, several keys on my keyboard stop working. A few hours later, the remaining keys as well as the trackpad stop working. This is not directly related to sleep mode. I have tried disabling sleep mode and the screensaver, but these things still happen. I have tried resetting the PRAM and the SMC as well as disconnecting my external devices. This is a problem that emerged immediately after applying the full Yosemite update. Interestingly, it did not appear during the beta updates (I am a member of the Yosemite Public Beta program).

Feb 1, 2015 8:51 AM in response to ant1matter

I have this same problem. We have a late 2013 Mac Pro. It worked fine on Mavericks (10.0.2). We upgraded to Yosemite two days ago and every time we let the machine alone for a while we find our wired keyboard and mouse become useless. it doesn't need to sleep . . . the power button may not fade. When we find the screen saver running, we find the keyboard is dead.

Resetting the PRAM hasn't fixed it. The machine wakes easily if I depress the power button. But, the keyboard and mouse are still inactive. That doesn't sound like an SMC problem since I don't have an issue waking it. I suspected that my Logitech mouse could contribute to this. But, now I see that, in other threads, people have problems with their built in trackpads.

I have found I can use Screen Sharing on another computer to type, save, quit, etc on this one. So, I can do a normal restart.

Feb 1, 2015 9:40 AM in response to ant1matter

Ant1matter:

I don't know if you're still having the problem. I poked around some and found this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6605325

In it, people plug their deactivated keyboard into another computer and suddenly it works again. I'm not sure theirs is the same problem as yours (or mine). But, I'm waiting for mine to fail again so I can try it.

Good luck!

keyboard/trackpad stop working after sleep mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.