Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 6 with iOS 8.1 using MS 365 exchange "read" emails remain unread in outlook or OWA

We use MS 365 exchange online for company email and we have our mailboxes sync with our iPhones. Recently employees have upgraded their older iPhones to the 6 or 6 plus with iOS8.1 or higher. Since upgrade multiple users are reporting that any emails marked "read" on their devices will not update as "read" in outlook for windows or Mac and also OWA. This then causes the user to have to manually mark the emails as "read" in outlook or OWA and is very frustrating and time consuming.

Side note: new emails arrives in all 3 locations (iPhone, OWA, and outlook), so no emails are missing.

Troubleshooting steps taken.

1. Manually forcing the device to update the exchange mailbox by pressing refresh.

2. Turning off all data (cell data and wifi)

3. Removed the exchange account from the device and added it back.

4. Reset network settings to factory.

5. Marked email as "read" from OWA or outlook, iPhone do not update still says "unread"

6. Loaded mailbox onto an iPhone 5s and iPhone 4s and unread emails marked as "read" updated as "read" in all 3 locations (iPhone, OWA, and outlook)

7. Disabled and enabled ActiveSync of the affected users mailbox from the admin console in MS 365 exchange online.

7. Called MS 365 exchange support and they didn't see anything in the logs recorded from the iPhone 6.

Any help, suggestions or to even know that others are experiencing this same issue would be appreciated.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1

Posted on Dec 3, 2014 6:56 AM

7 replies

Apr 16, 2015 1:08 AM in response to rampuptech

I am using iPhone 6 and Microsoft Exchange account (my work account) with iOS mail client. I have the same issue: When I read an e-mail from my phone it remains as unread in my mail account and I have to mark them for second time on my mail client as read.

This is really confusing for me and not able to use the iPhone mail client as expected.

iOS: 8.3

Apr 29, 2015 11:20 PM in response to rampuptech

Did you find a solution for this problem yet?

We are haveing the same problem where I work.

Also using Exchange server and IOS devices.

Are you using a VPN tunnel on the IOS devices?

A few Days ago I had this problem on my own device (iPhone6, IOS8.3)

I was Reading emails on my way to work.

When I got to work and started the computer ONE of the emails was marked unread in Outlook.

On the device it was marked as "read".

One thing that I remember is that I had bad Connection at the time I was syncing emails and I got

the popup message: "Can not get emails - Connection to server failed" (my translation from Swedish)

I have a feeling that the error message and the problem with unread emails are connected somehow.

Also, when I turn off the email account for my iPhone (to remove all emails) and turn it back on (reload all emails)

the mail that was set as "read" is now "unread" again on my iPhone.

This means (speculatinos) that sometimes the device mark emails as "read" but for some reason it does not

tell the server that it is "read". So the server still Thinks that the email is "unread".

May 31, 2015 5:16 PM in response to spr11x

spr11x wrote:

Apple, this is a major inconvenience for our business, to the extent we're thinking of ditching iPhone 6 & 6+.

Surely you must be able to release an easy IOS update or fix? As all our none 6 & 6+ devices are working and syncing absolutely fine!

Apple is not here. This forum is populated by USERS, not representatives or employees of Apple. Addressing Apple here is pointless. Had you read the terms of use of this forum that you agreed to when you signed up, you'd find that feedback to Apple goes here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Best,

GDG

Jun 4, 2015 3:17 AM in response to rampuptech

Did you find a solution for this problem yet?

Did you check SMTP settings? we have our questions as follows:

We built our HTML 5 website http://www.cnflanges.com for steel flanges, but when we check on the Safri browser of Iphone 5s, that works fine. When we check on the Iphone 6 plus, the products are shown or listed on so good. What shall we do to make them work fine for both devices?

iphone 6 with iOS 8.1 using MS 365 exchange "read" emails remain unread in outlook or OWA

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.