Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get my Mac to detect my wireless printer?

I recently upgraded to yosemite and my Mac no longer recognizes my canon pima printer (wi-fi connection). I deleted the printer on the printer list after I received a connection error with the intention of adding it back and now cannot get my Mac to detect the printer to add it. I installed the updated driver from canon's site. Thank you for your help.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 3, 2014 9:33 AM

3 replies

Dec 4, 2014 10:27 AM in response to CountyLineDesignLLC

Hi CountyLineDesignLLC,

I see that you have some questions about troubleshooting a wireless printer after updating to Yosemite. Here is an article for you that should be able to help you achieve this goal:

Troubleshooting printer issues in OS X - Apple Support

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203343

Thanks for coming to the Apple Support Communities!

Regards,

Braden

Dec 4, 2014 2:19 PM in response to CountyLineDesignLLC

Many updaters to Yosemite are having the same issue with the discovery of their network printer. The protocol used to advertise the printer is called Bonjour and this appears to be the cause of the issue.

Until this is resolved in a possible future update you may be able to add the printer a different way. Many newish models of Canon PIXMA support the LPD protocol. So instead of adding the printer via the Default view, you can create the printer by selecting the IP icon in the same Add printer window and enter the IP address of the Canon. You then set the Protocol to "Line Printer Daemon-LPD", leave the Queue blank, change the Name to the model of Canon and leave the Location blank. Then in the Use menu, ensure you select the Canon printer driver for your model. Click Add to complete the installation and then see if you can print again.

How can I get my Mac to detect my wireless printer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.