Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't view images sent or received via iMessage/SMS Text/AIM in iMessage on MacBook Pro

Ever since upgrading to Yosemite OS X on my MacBook pro, I've been unable to view pictures that I send or receive via SMS Text and iMessage on my phone, and receive via AIM, within iMessage on my computer.

All images show up as their file name only, and cannot be viewed or downloaded (see attached screen shots.)

I can view the images fine on my phone, just not on the computer.

I can't seem to find anyone else having this problem, and I've played around with iMessage settings and nothing seems to help.

Any thoughts?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 3, 2014 11:27 AM

10 replies

Nov 19, 2017 11:20 AM in response to tlb77

Hi,

Are these new pictures ?

If you did not Restore the Attachments folder you deleted then they will not show up when scroll back though a thread.

User uploaded file

7:20 pm Sunday; November 19, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 11.x and an iPad (2)

Dec 6, 2017 3:29 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I'm having the same problem and I have tried most of the solutions suggested here and elsewhere. Perhaps I should delete the entire ~Library/Messages folder but I don't know how this would effect the sql database. I might loose all of my messages. I did delete the Attachments folder and then created a new one but while the system created new subdirectories I see no images in them even though I have been sent the same images which do indeed show up on my iphone. What to do?

Greg.

Dec 5, 2014 1:42 PM in response to DJSamHiller

Hi,

In the Window menu open the File Transfer window.

What does this say about the transfers ?

Pics and Files sent in AIM involves a port change from the Login port the app uses (443 to 5190)

Check that this port is open in your router.

In the Finder > Go Menu - Whilst holding down the ALT Key - select the Library that appears.

Navigate to the Preferences.

Find com.apple.iChat.AIM.plist and Drag it to the Trash.
Restart the app.

User uploaded file

9:42 PM Friday; December 5, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Dec 5, 2014 6:42 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

In the File Transfer Window it says "File Received"

I don't believe this is an AIM problem, because it's happening with all messaging platforms within iMessage on my computer (iMessage, AIM, Jabber, Bonjour.)

For instance, if someone sends me a photo from their iMessage account to my iMessage account, I can view the photo on my phone, but on my computer is shows like a how I demonstrated in the screen grabs I included in my original post. No AIM involved in that scenario. This seems to be a problem with iMessage on my computer not displaying images correctly.

Dec 6, 2014 12:28 PM in response to DJSamHiller

Hi,

The reason I suggested it might be one service was the lower pic only showed the AIM service (I had not seen the grey bit as a gap or a different pic) AND the balloons in the upper pic with the pics supposedly in them did not have the spyglass which normally indicates you have to use Preview to open them (use a Double Click.)

I have had the issue in non iMessages accounts (mostly AIM and Bonjour) but have not seen it recently in my AIM accounts.

Using Little Snitch in Yosemite I see this:-

User uploaded file

There used to be a separate IMRemote*TransferAgent (I can't remember the exact name)that worked with the iMessages account and another similarly named items for the Other Services. However I have not seen them listed for a while and suspect that like the iChatAgent (up to Snow Leopard and iChat 5) and the IMAgent (from Snow Leopards download version of FaceTime) have been joined together and possibly have had a name change.

This can make it hard to track in apps like Little Snitch that monitor Ports and IP addresses that the apps on the computer are connecting to.

Does anything appear in the Console App at the time you send Files and Pics ?

User uploaded file

8:28 PM Saturday; December 6, 2014

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Dec 3, 2015 1:40 PM in response to Pressure Suit

I am having a similar issue. I am using Bonjour with my coworkers and I can send images and they can see them, but I am unable to see the images they send to me.

User uploaded file

Clicking on the magnifying glass, nothing happens.

Double clicking on the message, this happens:

User uploaded file

Dragging it to preview, I get a message the the image is empty.

FIle transfer log indicates that image was received.

Dec 5, 2015 12:44 PM in response to osu2osu

Hi,

The App stores the pictures (or files) in ~/Library/Messages/Attachments and then strangely numbered folders.

Using the Cover Flow view and displaying the Modified column (Finder > View Menu > Show View Options) can help pin down the date.

The ~/Library is usually hidden on most people 's computers.

To access this Library use Finder window > GO Menu whilst holding down the ALT key then select the Library that appears.

However the app does not Write the info directly to the Folder it uses the route ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.iChat/Data/Library/Messages and the Alias that then points to the Attachments folder.

I am not entirely sure at which point in the process the File Transfer windows say it "received" the file compared to when the app gets it stored (if it can) in the Attachments folder.

I would right click the Attachments folder and then choose Get Info.

At the bottom of the Panel click on your name then Unlock the Padlock.

Then use the cogwheel icon under the list.

You should have Read and Write Permissions.

The text in the Cogwheel icon bit should be greyed out (it reads "Make yourShourName (me) the Owner")

You should also check your Own the Messages folder it is in.

Checking all the folders in the Write path can take a while but should not be dismissed.

User uploaded file

8:44 pm Saturday; December 5, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Can't view images sent or received via iMessage/SMS Text/AIM in iMessage on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.