Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Still can't send email with Yosemite due to SMTP offline?

Hello there. I logged a question immediately after downloading yosemite which seemed to have resulted in my email account not working.

no matter what I do, when trying to send an email Iget messages of SMTP offline'; I have tried all kinds of suggestions from on here all to no effect.

Tonight I deleted the accounts, logged off, rebooted and recreated the two email accounts. I can now receive email but still cannot send and get the same 'SMTP Offline' message as before.

As before the two accounts and same settings work flawlessly on iPad 2, windows laptop and two Android based phones, so must be linked to the iMac and Yosemite?

Anyone else still unable to send emails? I

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 3, 2014 1:07 PM

6 replies

Dec 8, 2014 11:10 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks Eric but i tried that; the 'details' and there was a few lines processes it had tried to carry out. It didn't really mean much to me.

However, I have tried all of the tricks suggested here like trying to edit SMTP servers in advanced account settings, checking ssl unchecking ssl, changing port numbers etc. My Windows laptop, 2 android phones and iPad 2 continue to laugh at my efforts and continue to receive/send email just fine.....just the beautiful iMac that doesn't. Beyond irritated now, just resigned.

The troubleshooting section didn't help so never mind.

I will try an alternative for outbound emails only.

Jan 6, 2015 5:25 PM in response to RoyD1975

I had the same problem - it kept saying my outgoing mail server was 'Offline' and nothing tried was working. I even removed the account completely and attempted to reinstall.

I then realized it was because I had the two-step security verification on my Gmail account. If you do, too, you have to also enter the two-step verification code to the OUTGOING mail server when you set up your mailbox on your Mac.

To do this, go your Mail>Preferences, then look at the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) field. It will probably say "Offline". Click in the dropdown box and select 'Edit SMTP Server List'.

You'll then see a 'Password' box. Enter the 2-step verification code that was generated by Gmail, and you should be good to go!

Jan 27, 2015 2:18 AM in response to Neetster1

Well this is not the answer.

I also disabled the 2-step verification and reenter the SMTP parameters.

At first time it seemed to work (I could send emails), but after having quit and restart Mail I still got the error "Offline".

My only solution is to kill the SMTP parameter and to recreate it (smtp.gmail.com, SSL, login + pwd, etc.). And that for each mail to be sent ! 😟 😟 😟

Jul 24, 2015 9:10 AM in response to RoyD1975

I found a solution, which in my case, helps greatly in Yosemite to keep Mac Mail online, and if it does go offline, makes it much easier to reconnect. In Mail's menu bar, click Mail / Accounts. It is the same as to System Preferences / Internet Accounts. (Not to be confused with Mail / Preferences / Accounts).

In Internet Accounts, click on each mail account. If "Use With" has "Notes" checked, or anything else which does not need to coordinate with Mail, uncheck it. I'm not sure why, but every one of my Mail accounts had "Notes" checked, but without the mail log-ins entered, such as passwords. I don't need Notes to coordinate with Mail in any way (I'm not even sure what the function is for).

When you uncheck "Notes" or perhaps another use, in the list of accounts, you'll then see a greyed-out, inactive account with the same name as your active account (in my case, the greyed-out duplicate accounts were called "Mail & Notes Account" when clicking on them.) Try using Mail now for a week or so. If it's much better, then eventually just delete the inactive accounts in Mail / Accounts (or in System Preferences / Internet Accounts, which is the same settings). I hope it works for others! 🙂

Still can't send email with Yosemite due to SMTP offline?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.