Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Non apple devices

Why can’t I upload music that I have purchased through iTunes over the last 10 years to a non-Apple mobile device?

I have a number of songs and a few albums and handful of movies that I purchased through iTunes a few years ago that will not play on either of my Amazon Kindle Fire or HTC Windows 8x phone because of Apples DRM protection that is embedded into the digital media.

If not why is Apple the only digital music reseller that doesn’t allow the music, videos and eBooks to be used on other competitive devices.

Posted on Dec 3, 2014 2:58 PM

6 replies

Dec 3, 2014 4:52 PM in response to Eric Schwarzkopf

Get -> iTunes Match.

-> iTunes Store: iTunes Plus Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Apple Support

"Can I upgrade my previously purchased music to iTunes Plus?

Yes. If you subscribe to iTunes Match, you can download your previously purchased music again in the iTunes Plus format. To do so

1. You need to delete the original DRM song from your library first. Doing this enables you to download the song again in the iTunes Plus format from iTunes in the Cloud.
  2. Click the Purchased tab in the iTunes Store.
  3. Click Music.
  4. Locate the artist of the song you want to upgrade.
  5. Click the iCloud Download icon next to the song you want to upgrade."

Or you can burn them to an audio CD and reRIP them.

Non apple devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.