Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac pro (2013) > yamaha rx-v365 receiver using HDMI

hi. i am trying to connect my mac pro (2013) to my yamaha rx-v365 receiver using an HDMI cable. i want my stereo to play the sound for my computer.

i also have a mac pro (2008) that was connected through the same receiver, but it was an optical cable and the new mac pro doesn't have an optical port.

i currently have the newer computer commented to the receiver using the HDMI cord, but once in system preferences>sound>output, HDMI is not one of the options available.

has anyone had any experience with the setup? will the HDMI port and cable work the same way the optical port and cable worked on my older mac pro?

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 3, 2014 4:22 PM

4 replies

Dec 4, 2014 12:17 PM in response to bobbysamat

it should. hold down the Option key and click on the Speaker icon at the top of your screen. Doing so will show all the available sound inputs and outputs, such as the Output Device being HDMI. Also, go into the system Preferences, then Sound, then click the Output tab. HDMI should be there under "Type". you may also have to mess around with the reciever and tell it that digital audio is coming in on whatever port the HDMI cable is connected to. You are correct-the new mac pro 2013 doesn't have an optical port, as such, just HDMI. You may also have to mess around with Audio MIDI as well. Ah-apparently, this reciever does HDMI audio pass through-to another tv monitor--it does not send the sound to the speaker terminals. So, you'd need an HDMI to digital audio box, which you might be able to get from Amazon.

John Brine

May 5, 2015 4:19 PM in response to Cliff85

no- I don't have a 2013 Mac Pro. He does . Apparently the audio output jack does both analogy and digital out (miniTOSlink, methinks)

and the Thunderbolt port will do HDMI audio out if you use a DisplayPort to HMI cable. As for the HDMI port on the back? That's for video only

so, I guess I was wrong-sorry about that... I was wrong about the whole thing. I should have read Apple's info sheet on the Mac Pro 2013's external ports and connectors, but I was going with my gut reaction and didn't read all of the question. All I saw was HDMI...audio output...

D'oh !!

JB

mac pro (2013) > yamaha rx-v365 receiver using HDMI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.