Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Factory Reset without Admin Password, MACbook Air

I have a Macbook air 10.9.4

I want to reset it to the factory settings. I do not know the admin password though. I tried doing to holding down command and R thing, but all that happened was a grey screen came up with a picture of a lock, and a block for a password to be entered in, but I don't have a password.... Please Help!!

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), Reset/ Password

Posted on Dec 3, 2014 4:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2014 7:46 PM

Ok, so what are my options then?

1. Return the laptop

2. Bring the owner with me to the Apple store

3. Throw the computer away if option 1 or 2 isn't possible

Side note, how do they know the actual name of the original owner anyways? On my macbook pro I have I bought it new from Bestbuy, so how would apple have my name?

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2014 7:46 PM in response to SP Forsythe

Ok, so what are my options then?

1. Return the laptop

2. Bring the owner with me to the Apple store

3. Throw the computer away if option 1 or 2 isn't possible

Side note, how do they know the actual name of the original owner anyways? On my macbook pro I have I bought it new from Bestbuy, so how would apple have my name?

Dec 3, 2014 7:36 PM in response to SP Forsythe

No, the computer is not registered to me. I bought it used from an individual today. Him and his wife are trying to locate the firmware password, but as of yet have been unsuccessful.

What are my options being that the computer is not registered to me? Why would apple care if it was registered to me or not, wouldn't the serial number be reported as stolen if the computer in fact had been stolen?

Dec 3, 2014 7:43 PM in response to oceantrav

It depends on the person, I suppose. But ordinarily Apple is pretty supportive of authorized persons only having access to a laptop's contents when the owner has set a firmware password.

One has to understand that a firmware password's purpose is to protect. It would serve no purpose if anyone could simply ask that the protection be removed. The service to remove the protection is a benefit only afforded to legitimate owners.

The seller should have released his registration the moment it was sold. This permits YOU to then register it to yourself. You should take care of this matter before taking it in.

Dec 3, 2014 7:53 PM in response to oceantrav

Personally, I am in favor of the policy surrounding the reset of the firmware password. It gives me a semblance of peace of mind that if someone steals my firmware password protected Mac, that just "anyone' could easily have the protection removed, and have access to my stored information.

If you have a legitimate sale here, then you might try to show some "proof" of your ownership, if the seller is unavailable now to release the registration from his user profile.

Dec 3, 2014 8:06 PM in response to oceantrav

Maybe you should just call the Apple store first, explain your issue and the circumstances under which it was acquired and they can give you an answer on what they might expect from you. Maybe they will simply accept your word. It would worry a few of us, if they do. Let us know.

Their written policy only says: "Only Apple Retail Stores or Apple Authorized Service Providers can unlock computers protected by a firmware password."

It only makes sense, so that unauthorized users can't do it themselves.

Dec 4, 2014 8:58 AM in response to SP Forsythe

Ok, waiting on Apple to call me this evening.

The seller just texted me an said that he found the OS X install disk this morning. He said installing that will reset everything.

Question though, since the air doesn't have a disk drive, didn't it not come with a disk? If he does have a disk would it reset everything even though theres a firmware password?

Factory Reset without Admin Password, MACbook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.