Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Your Apple ID and phone number are now being used for iCloud on a new iPhone" Message?

Hi,

When I woke my Macbook Pro up this evening, I encountered the following message: "Your Apple ID and phone number are now being used for iCloud on a new iPhone." I don't utilize iCloud on any of my Apple devices (MacBook Pro running latest version of Yosemite, and iPhone 4 running iOS 7.1.2). I changed my Apple ID Password right after receiving the message just in case my information had somehow been comprised. Has anyone encountered this message before? Any thoughts on why it might be popping up out of the blue? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

PowerBook G4 (12-inch 1.5 GHz), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Dec 3, 2014 8:47 PM

24 replies

Dec 31, 2014 6:44 AM in response to brenden dv

You didn't answer his question and the article doesn't answer it either. Why did the message come up in the first place if he did not have a new device or phone. The apple message states there is a new iPhone when obviously there was no new phone. I just received the same message without having purchased a new iPhone. This message causes me to think something has gone awry and someone else now has access to my iPhone and iCloud account.

Jan 6, 2015 6:57 AM in response to Marvel Fan

I agree, this is not answering the question.

If you don't know why this message is appearing just say so vs. providing some potentially incorrect link to a security posting.

Here are my recent activities/actions I have done to my iMac and iPhone that I believe are relevant.

1. Both my iMac and iPhone use the same iCloud account.

2. I have upgraded my iMac to Yosemite about 2 months ago which may or may not be related.

3. I recall enabling some setting in Yosemite to allow it to handle any phone calls from my iPhone via FaceTime when the iPhone is in bluetooth proximity - this may or may not be related.

4. I have recently upgraded my iPhone 5s to iOS 8.1.1 as of a few weeks ago.

5. This is the first time I am sitting at my iMac with my iPhone since as I have been on travel the last 4-5 weeks on and off

It would be nice to see more information provided on this issue from Apple as I'm very surprised that we are the only 2 or 3 folks in the world encountering this issue.

Jan 6, 2015 7:04 AM in response to Marvel Fan

Check the long headers on the email. I have gotten many, many bogus supposed Apple messages like this during the Christmas season. Hacking abounds. Never use the links in these emails to access or change your information. Open a new browser window and travel to the Apple store to check on your ids and passwords. The phishing emails I got seemed to originate in ".ru" I've never gotten a real email from Apple that had a country extension.

The first time I got one of these emails, I used the link to sign into my Apple account. I quickly realized I made a mistake and re-logged in and changed my password and then monitored my account carefully.

Jan 6, 2015 2:40 PM in response to Cyd

Thanks for the input. I can't speak for the others but I don't believe my issue has anything to do with email.

This appeared to be an Apple OS level pop-up/notification. My email application was not loaded nor had I accessed or launched my email software on this computer in weeks.

It would be nice to hear from someone who is familiar with this (perhaps) Yosemite/iCloud and iPhone specific error vs. hearing good intentioned wild speculation, and/or trolling - you make the call.

Jan 6, 2015 2:47 PM in response to Dilbertian

The only time you should see this is if someone actually _did_ sign up for iCloud from another device. Typically, when you sign in a new device to iCloud (and configure Messages), you'll get a notification dialog on ALL OTHER DEVICES to advice you of this. If you didn't do this, as you say, it's a definite cause for concern.

Changing your password is a good first step.

I'd suggest you log on to iCloud.com with your Apple ID, and then go to Settings and look in the "My Devices" settings for anything you don't recognize. You could also do the "Find my iPhone" page to see if there's a device in there that you don't recognize. If there is, maybe wipe it to send a message to whoever hacked your password 😉

Jan 7, 2015 5:41 AM in response to Dilbertian

You are rude. I wasn't trolling, only sharing what I considered a major issue for concern that had happened to me. I have gotten your message in an email format before. My email is opened as part of my log on sequence. I never stopped to think you might use a Mac and not use email. For that I was short sighted, but NOT a troll,

Jan 7, 2015 4:49 PM in response to Dilbertian

It would be nice to hear from someone who is familiar with this (perhaps) Yosemite/iCloud and iPhone specific error vs. hearing good intentioned wild speculation, and/or trolling - you make the call.

What part of this do you not understand?

Since a bunch of nudy pics were leaked due to insecure passwords, Apple now notifies you when a new device signs into iCloud. That way, if you didn't do it, you can take steps to secure your account.

It would be nice to see more information provided on this issue from Apple as I'm very surprised that we are the only 2 or 3 folks in the world encountering this issue.

You're not. We all get those notifications. I can't remember if I got one when I installed iOS 8. I know I got one after I reset my iPhone.

We're all just users here. I really don't give s***t if your iCloud account is hacked. I imagine most others don't either.

Mar 6, 2015 10:17 AM in response to Barney-15E

I had this message shown on my Mac as well. I haven't signed on iCloud and FaceTime for a while and I definitely didn't get a new iPhone.

I have an idea, but I can't say for sure if it's right.

Maybe it's my old iPhone that got stolen. Maybe the their finally sold it and someone else is using my old "new" iPhone which is still linked to my Apple ID. I tried using the find my iPhone app but my current phone didn't ring even when it was connected to an internet source.

As well, I received an email from Apple saying i signed in to iCloud at 9:44 PST which was weird since I live on the east coast now and was still asleep when I supposedly "signed in."

Like you, I just changed my Apple ID password and security questions as prompted by Apple.

Mar 19, 2015 6:19 PM in response to Marvel Fan

Even thought this is old Ill add a little in hopes someone else can shed some light.

I just got my late 2009 iMac out of the shop where they replaced a hard drive and didx a fresh install of yosemite. Now I get these pop ups AND hand off, which I never heard of, is causing calls to ring across all of my phones. the first big question is: WHY IS THIS APPEARING ON MY IMAC? I did not enable any FaceTime on the mac. I do have iCloud turned on to share notes but that is it

And yes, all of my phones share the same ID because my kids are 13. The won't get a ID until they move out and I don't have to worry about lost phones or finding them./

May 5, 2015 8:35 AM in response to William Lloyd

Turned on my Mac Pro a few minutes ago and I got the following "POP-UP" message.

" Your Apple ID and phone number are now being used for iCloud on a new iPhone. " ( my iPhone is not new. )

" If you recently signed into "xxxxx iPhone" you can ignore this notification."

On the bottom of this pop-up window is an "OK" button. Well it's NOT "OK" No option is offered if it is not "OK".

I have made no changes to my iPhone whatsoever. Just normal use today. In my iCloud settings everything is turned off except sharing Contacts.

I'd suggest you log on to iCloud.com with your Apple ID, and then go to Settings and look in the "My Devices" settings for anything you don't recognize.

I just did this. All of the devices are iPhones, iPads, and Macintoshes that I own and am familiar with.

"Your Apple ID and phone number are now being used for iCloud on a new iPhone" Message?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.