Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can i upgrade from iphoto 7.1.5 to 8.1.2 on an older iMac running OSX 10.6.8 ?

How can I upgrade from iphoto 7.1.5 to 8.1.2 on an older iMac running OSX 10.6.8 ?

Posted on Dec 3, 2014 10:05 PM

4 replies

Dec 4, 2014 2:38 AM in response to Jeff Berger1

With MacOS X 10.6.8 you can upgrade at least to iPhoto 9.2.x.

Is there reason you want to upgrade only to 8.1.2 and stick with iPhoto '09 (version 8.x.x) and not the current iPhoto '11 (version 9.x.x)?

• If you want to stick with iPhoto '09, version 8.x.x, buy an iLife '09 DVD.
  • If you want to upgrade to the current iPhoto '11, version 9.x.x, buy an iLife '11 DVD.

The latter will give you an installer for versions, that can be updated for free to run with all newer MacOS X versions, up to Yosemite.

Dec 4, 2014 4:36 PM in response to léonie

follow-up question: With the above listed config that I have (iphoto 7.1.5 on an older iMac running OSX 10.6.8), how can I move my iPhoto library from this old iMac (2006) to my NEW iMac (2011) that is running iPhoto 9.5.1 ?

Seems the best way to xfer the files is to connect the systems via ethernet (done) then drag / drop the iPhoto Library file from the the pictures folder (done).

My plan was to then use iPhoto Library Manager to open the library files on the new and the old (now on the new) iMac.

Then use iPLM to combine the pictures into one large library file.

But it seems that iPLM requires a min of ver 8.1.2, thus the reason why I need to update the iPhoto SW on my old iMac

Will this work ?

Dec 6, 2014 1:56 AM in response to Jeff Berger1

With the above listed config that I have (iphoto 7.1.5 on an older iMac running OSX 10.6.8), how can I move my iPhoto library from this old iMac (2006) to my NEW iMac (2011) that is running iPhoto 9.5.1 ?

To open an iPhoto 7.1.x version in iPhoto '11 you need to run the iPhoto Library Upgrader. See this Support document:

iPhoto '11: About the Library Upgrade

Download and install the upgrader, then run it on your iPhoto 7.1.5 library. After that, iPhoto will be able to open your library and upgrade it to version 9.5.1. And you will be able to merge the libraries with if Library Manager.

how can i upgrade from iphoto 7.1.5 to 8.1.2 on an older iMac running OSX 10.6.8 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.