Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not receiving incoming calls on Mac at FaceTime

I am not able to receive incoming phone calls on Mac but can make outgoing calls from Mac .....what do I do ?

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 4, 2014 4:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2017 6:40 AM

If you’re expecting a call from someone, make sure that they have the right details of your account.

Check your blocked people list – FaceTime not working

Sometimes people accidently add a person to the blocked list, and this could be one of the reasons why you are not receiving any call from that person. To check the block list:

• Go to settings
  • Tap on FaceTime
  • Then tap on ‘blocked.'

The list of the people you’ve blocked will be displayed. If the person is on the list, here’s how to remove them from there –

• Tap on edit
  • Tap the Remove icon beside their name
  • And unblock

This is the last thing you can do if your FaceTime is still not working.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2017 6:40 AM in response to Rahul.Gandhi

If you’re expecting a call from someone, make sure that they have the right details of your account.

Check your blocked people list – FaceTime not working

Sometimes people accidently add a person to the blocked list, and this could be one of the reasons why you are not receiving any call from that person. To check the block list:

• Go to settings
  • Tap on FaceTime
  • Then tap on ‘blocked.'

The list of the people you’ve blocked will be displayed. If the person is on the list, here’s how to remove them from there –

• Tap on edit
  • Tap the Remove icon beside their name
  • And unblock

This is the last thing you can do if your FaceTime is still not working.

Dec 4, 2014 9:58 AM in response to Rahul.Gandhi

Cellular calling doesn't yet work reliably. Any improvement may only be temporary.

Make sure you've followed the instructions in this support article. Note that both iCloud and FaceTime on the Mac must be signed in to the same Apple ID; those are two separate steps. Also note that the Mac and the phone must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Ethernet won't work. Trying to pair the phone to the Mac as a Bluetooth device won't work either.

If cellular calling still doesn't work, sign out of FaceTime and sign back in. You may have to do the same on the phone. The email address that you use as your Apple ID must be able to receive FaceTime calls.

Dec 1, 2015 6:51 PM in response to Rahul.Gandhi

I have this same issue. It used to work just fine, but for some reason I can no longer receive Facetime calls on my Mac. It works fine on my iphone and ipad, but not my Mac. I can make outgoing calls on the mac just fine. I checked and the icloud and facetime apple ID's are the same. It is connected to my phone and "authorized". The only thing I can think of is I did install Skype recently. But in preferences for Facetime it still shows using Facetime to receive calls.

Dec 4, 2015 3:47 PM in response to Rahul.Gandhi

I have done everything the support group suggests:

1) Checked Date and time and closest city

2) Checked to make sure Do Not Disturb (in notifications) isn't on

3) Deleted Facetime Preferences in the Library files

4) Checked to make sure icloud and facetime used the same apple ID

5) Checked to make sure my phone was connected to my Mac and on the same WiFi network

Since I can make outgoing calls with no problem (Both cellular calls and facetime calls) it tells me it is connected with the Mac and for some reason Facetime just isn't seeing the calls come in.

The only think I can think of is I recently loaded on Skype, and upgraded Zoom. Similar type services.

Next step is Apple Support.

Dec 5, 2015 2:18 PM in response to amg1957

Finally figured it out. After spending some time with Apple support, resetting everything in the system, I figured out that somehow my "notifications" had been changed for Facetime. System Preferences, Notifications and then look at facetime. They had been turned to Non. How that happened I don't know, but I now consider this closed.

Not receiving incoming calls on Mac at FaceTime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.