Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule 802.11ac cannot be updated

I have 2TB Time Capsule 802.11AC as my main router with an Aiport Express (latest version) connected via wired to my Time Capsule to extend my network and for Airplay functionality. My MB using latest Yosemite OS X. I have a USB HD connected to the Time Capsule so that I can make alternating backups.

Previously I have had no issues using Airport Utility to access both devises even after Yosemite update. About two weeks ago I noticed that the first time I would start the Airport Utility on the MB it would not find either or both of the devises. Shut down the App and start it again and it would find them no problem. This happens EVERY time. Then a week ago I received an error that my backup on the Time Capsule was corrupted. I looked into it and no matter what I tried it would not work. Therefore restarted the backup knowing that I had the external HD as my backup backup. BAckup completed and it seemed fine. Then when I went into the Airport Utility it could not find the Time Capsule. I tried unplugging, then Hard reset and then final Hard Reset to Factory defaults. Using either OS X app or IOS App cannot now sees the Time Capsule, it's green like everything else but it keeps asking for password and never goes past that. The whole time my Airport Express is accessible and I do have internet connection. Another change I noticed was in the INTERNET portion of the Airport Utility, instead of showing the IP of my modem which is assigned by my ISP it now shoes the IP of the Time Capsule. Still have full internet connection though. This is the case for both OS X and iOS apps.

In doing a Factory reset my network went from 192.168.x.x to 10.0.x.x. Then I noticed that even though I can connect with my iPhone via the Airport Utility I no longer have an internet connection.

I resorted to installing the utility on a Windows 7 laptop. I was able to access the Time Capsule. I was able to go in and see all of my network settings but when I make changes and apply the Time Capsule does not reboot properly and I have to unplug it to get it to go green again. When I check with the PC Laptop absolutely no changes have been updated.

No idea at this point.

Cheers,

Andrew

Time Capsule AC 2TB-OTHER

Posted on Dec 4, 2014 5:40 AM

8 replies

Dec 4, 2014 6:01 AM in response to KNWBagheera

Time Capsule 802.11ac cannot be updated........I resorted to installing the utility on a Windows 7 laptop.

The version of AirPort Utility 5.6.1 in Windows does NOT support the 802.11ac Time Capsule or 802.11ac AirPort Extreme......so that might explain your question / issue.

To verify, please check the System Requirements for the Time Capsule from the Tech Specs page of the product information.

Setup and Administration

• iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 6 or later and AirPort Utility 1.3
  • Mac with OS X Lion v10.7.5 or later and AirPort Utility 6.3

http://www.apple.com/airport-time-capsule/specs/

Sorry, I am bit confused on what the real issue might be here on the Time Capsule. Can you clarify on that?

Dec 4, 2014 7:22 AM in response to KNWBagheera

Yosemite (10.10.x) has problems, and the "disappearing" router issue in AirPort Utility is one of them. There are several reasons why this bug occurs, so there are several things that you can try to fix it.

On your Mac.....

Open System Preferences (gear icon on the dock)

Open Sharing

Check to make sure that the name of the Mac is displayed correctly. If you see a (2), (3), (4) added to the name of the Mac, edit the name to correct it

If you do need to edit the name, you will need to check this setting daily, as the correction will not "stick"

Close Sharing

Open Network

Click on Wi-Fi to highlight it

Click Advanced at the lower right

Click the TCP/IP tab

Make sure that the setting for Configure iPv6 is set to Link Local Only

Click OK

Click Apply

Click on Ethernet to highlight it

Click Advanced

Click the TCP/IP tab

Make sure that the setting for Configure iPv6 is set to Link Local Only

Click OK

Click Apply

Restart your Mac and see if AirPort Utility can "see" the Time Capsule.

Dec 5, 2014 5:41 AM in response to KNWBagheera

Some users have reported that turning off the Firewall on their Macs has helped. I am not necessarily recommending it, but you might want to try it as a test to see if things behave better that way.

Open System Preferences, then open Security and Privacy. Click the Firewall tab and turn it off to test.

After that, I am out of ideas.

Dec 11, 2014 5:09 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Ok Bob... finally got it working.... and from what I see it has nothing to do with anything I thought it was.

I unplugged everything and factory reset the TC. Plugged in my MB via Wired. Decided to give the TC a different name. And I was able to load the previous setting and it worked!

Then I plugged everything back in, including the airport express and it flaked out again and I couldn't connect via wifi. So I unplugged the Airport Express and everything worked again. Then I factory reset the Express... and now everything works!

1. Unplug everything

2. Factory reset the TC and give it a new name (not used before) - must be pulling old corrupt data.

3. Factory reset any other Airport express.

Voila. It works.

Cheers!

Time Capsule 802.11ac cannot be updated

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.